Keyword

K2 Items can't reorder. K2 v2.5.7. Joomla! 2.5.6

• Sean Carney
  • Sean Carney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 3 months ago #67668 by Sean Carney
Has anybody else run into this problem whereby the K2 items are not able to be reordered either using the up and down arrows or changing numbers in the Order field.

I just created two Items in the same Category and want to put one on top of the other. I have the settings for the Other Layout Options for the Category set to Ordering.

When I try to reorder the K2 Iitems by either pushing the up arrow or by changing the numbers and hitting the save icon I get a message that says "New ordering saved" but it is in fact not changing the ordering.

This problem appears to only be in K2 Items. I am not seeing this in Joomla articles or in K2 Categories.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #67669 by Lefteris
Hi. Are you sure that the ordering numbers don't get updated? Try to sort by the ordering column in the administration and the reorder the items. You should see the changes.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Sean Carney
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 3 months ago #67670 by Sean Carney
Thank you. You are correct . All is well with the sorting. Sorry to waste everybody's time. :-)

More
12 years 3 months ago #67671 by Lefteris
You are welcome.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Sean Carney
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 3 months ago #67672 by Sean Carney
It ends up I am still having some problems gaining control of the ordering. But, it is not because the items are not ordering as I had originally thought.

I am going to give you a page to look at and will then describe the scenario I am hoping for:

jbtest.drcarney.com/activities/engine-2-medical-director

At the top of this page I have a Category Description showing with the picture of the Doctor and the Engine 2 Immersion logo.

April 2012 Immersion at Kalani Resort in Hawaii that I am wanting to NOT be at the top of the page.

What seems to be happening is that the sub-categories appear to be ordered before the parent category.

Here is what my K2 categories look like:

|_ Engine 2 Immersion Medical Director (2 Active / 0 Trashed)
. |_ 2012 April Immersion (2 Active / 0 Trashed)
. |_ 2011 September Immersion (0 Active / 0 Trashed)
. |_ 2011 February Immersion (0 Active / 0 Trashed)
. |_ 2010 September Immersion (0 Active / 0 Trashed)
. |_ 2010 March Immersion (0 Active / 0 Trashed)

I want to have the articles from the parent category be first. then I would like to have articles come from the child categories in the order of the listed folders.

So, two articles from |_ Engine 2 Immersion Medical Director followed by some articles from
. |_ 2012 April Immersion (2 Active / 0 Trashed) and then from
. |_ 2011 September Immersion (0 Active / 0 Trashed)

etc...

I keep trying to set the options in the Category to "Ordering" for both

Category Layout Options -> Other Layout Options

and

Category view options -> Sub-category handling

I do have a Menu item on my site that is to the K2 Category called Engine 2 Immersion Medical Director

On the menu I have even thought that maybe I could just get rid of ALL child categories but I have also not figured that out. My preference would be to have the ordering completely handled by the Category which it seems is how things should be?

The web site is at jbtest.drcarney.com

to navigate to the page in question you can click on the Activities button and then the Engine 2 Medical Director button.

any words of wisdom will be appreciated.

If I can't figure it out then I may just create an article with the content from the description and the
A Wonderful Door of Opportunity and the Dr. Carney in Engine 2 Promo Video articles and then build a menu item to that one article.

More
12 years 3 months ago #67673 by Lefteris
When you make link to multiple categories ordering will be messed up. This is happening because the ordering can be applied per category. That's why we provide the featured ordering. Tell the menu link to fetch only featured items. Then tell it to sort by Featured ordering. Then go at the administration and filter items to show only featured. Then featured ordering will appear.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Sean Carney
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 3 months ago #67674 by Sean Carney

Lefteris Kavadas wrote: When you make link to multiple categories ordering will be messed up. This is happening because the ordering can be applied per category. That's why we provide the featured ordering. Tell the menu link to fetch only featured items. Then tell it to sort by Featured ordering. Then go at the administration and filter items to show only featured. Then featured ordering will appear.

Thank you so much for the reply. I wish I would say that I was able to understand and implement your solution. I have tried to use a single category and I have also tried to use multiple categories (all children) of the main category. I am ONLY using K2 Items and Categories. I am NOT using any Joomla articles or Categories.

When I set up the menu items if I pick the parent Category only:
|_ Engine 2 Immersion Medical Director

Then the option to Fetch Items from children categories is greyed out. I have no ability to modify that. I do have the option under Layout options for single category selection and am able to select an option that is "Featured first" but somehow that does not seem like the place you are suggesting.

I have NOT found any place to 'tTell the menu link to fetch only featured items" and wonder where that might be?

Changing the option to Featured First did change the sort order.

Is there any written documentation on K2 ordering and Joomla menus?

It seems quite complicated right now but I suspect that I must just be missing something very basic. Otherwise, to me it appears that K2 doesn't work. :-( But, I see the potential and sure want it to work!

• Sean Carney
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 3 months ago #67675 by Sean Carney
Here is a video somebody else posted about what is also seeming very strange to me. I wonder if this is about a feature that we don't understand and so it appears to us as a bug?

vimeo.com/13387664

More
12 years 3 months ago #67676 by Lefteris
When you select only one category, the settings are on the category edit page. So if you go to Administration->K2->Categories and open the category you have selected on the menu, you will see the settings for ordering, layout etc. That's why the settings are disabled when you select only one category in the menu link.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Sean Carney
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 3 months ago #67677 by Sean Carney
Thank you very much for explaining that. Is there some documentation that you are aware of explaining the Joomla Menus and K2 Categories relationship?