Keyword

K2 becomes very slow after article count increases.

• Hugo De Zela
  • Hugo De Zela's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 7 months ago #79040 by Hugo De Zela
On the site I am working on, there are roughly 20 new articles per day - 10 of those with videos - and as the article count grows, K2 becomes increasingly slower. The machine it's on can handle thousands of "regular joomla" articles but gets bogged down when the article count in K2 reaches the high hundreds mark.
I tested this by simply replicating the current site five times, all completely identical except for the article count, these are my results:

1.- Site as-is: ~990 articles / 39 seconds
2.- Test 1: 770 articles / 26 seconds
3.- Test 2: 660 articles / 21 seconds
4.- Test 3: 550 articles / 17 seconds
5.- Test 4: 440 articles / 6 seconds
6.- Test 5: 200 articles / 2 seconds

As you can see, the amount of time taken to load the site decreases with the total article count. The site is set up to show the front page with roughly 35 articles from different categories so I'm guessing it has something to do with the way K2 queries the database.

Is there some solution?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #79041 by Lefteris
Hi. K2 is designed to perform nice with sites having much more articles than 990 ( there are example sites with around 100000 items... ). You should check your performance settings. Also one of most important settings that can affect the performance of K2 is the "Catalog mode". You can find this on category edit page and on menu links to K2 categories. By setting this to "No" you force K2 to search recursively for children categories scanning all the site. This can be very slow on large sites. Also you are highly encouraged to enable Joomla cache system. This way K2 will perform much more better. And of course you should check the System - Cache plugin that comes with Joomla which caches the entire output of the site and can give an extreme speed boost to your site.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
13 years 4 months ago #79042 by Martin Balko
Replied by Martin Balko on topic K2 becomes very slow after article count increases.
Hi. I have only 8 articles and my site goes really slow. If i click on some virtuemart product, there are no problem. But when I click on K2 article, i have to wait about 20 seconds to view this article. Where can be a problem?

Thanks very much and sorry about my english :)

More
13 years 4 months ago #79043 by Kumar Saurav
Replied by Kumar Saurav on topic K2 becomes very slow after article count increases.
The Acua problem lies with K2 CSS...Please run the Yslow  Widget of Mozilla to see the Results..

You can Always optimise the K2 CSS and get your website load very fast.

Thanks

More
13 years 4 months ago #79044 by Martin Balko
Replied by Martin Balko on topic K2 becomes very slow after article count increases.
Thanks very much for reply. I think that Css is not my problem- i forgot write that- this problem takes for some time. Yesterday site load veeery slow (15-20 seconds) but today site load fast (max1-2 seconds). and i didn t make any changes. I m sure that is not a hosting problem- my other site (online gambling) on that hosting load very vell and is bigger and more complicated. Its look like there is really problem with K2 component or i dont know, maybe cashing site.... Because other items (for example polls, virtuemart) load quickly. Only K2 items load very, really very slow. Kumar Saurav said:

The Acua problem lies with K2 CSS...Please run the Yslow  Widget of Mozilla to see the Results..

You can Always optimise the K2 CSS and get your website load very fast.

Thanks

More
13 years 2 months ago #79045 by Odin Mayland
Replied by Odin Mayland on topic K2 becomes very slow after article count increases.
mine too.  any solutions?

Do you also use sh404sef?  I have a feeling that it is creating some slowing issues.  

Also, I use 
Admin Tools Core 2.1.4 to "optimize the database" and this seems to speed the back end up for a while.

More
13 years 2 months ago #79046 by Martin Balko
No I m not using sh404sef. For seo I use iJoomla SEO.

I find out that problem is no with K2- because i uninstall K2 component and now I have articles in default Joomla articles. And problem with slow loading site still exists. When I click at any virtuemart product, site loads without problem. But  when I click on article it takes about 20 second to load site. I have no idea what can be a problem.

Can anybody help me?