Keyword

What happens when J1.6 comes? K2 obsolete?

• netstepinc
  • netstepinc's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #79997 by netstepinc
What happens when J1.6 comes? K2 obsolete? was created by netstepinc
What happens when Joomla 1.6 is released?Will it make K2 obsolete?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #79998 by Albert
Replied by Albert on topic What happens when J1.6 comes? K2 obsolete?
I doubted. Even when 1.6 comes it it won't have the out of the box blog feel like k2 has. I wouldn't update to 1.6 right when it comes out. With K2 you can have a template per category which is awesome :). K2 just goes more in-depth. Until Joomla has it's own CCK in core, then I would question it.

More
14 years 6 months ago #79999 by Simon Wells
Replied by Simon Wells on topic What happens when J1.6 comes? K2 obsolete?
As commented by Joomlaworks:

"K2 is supported by a solid Joomla! dev company, JoomlaWorks. We've been around for more than 3 years and plan to be around for even more. That means K2 will always be upgraded to meet the demands of true professionals (and newbies too).

If you build your website now with K2, you will migrate in a snap when J1.6 comes out, because K2 WILL SUPPORT J1.6 of course the day it becomes available as RC. The same upgrade path will not be possible from J1.5 articles to J1.6. This is because of the fundamental differences in the 2 versions. If you choose K2 in J1.5 now, you will just "move" your content to K2 in J1.6 and it will JUST play. That will not JUST happen if you currently use J1.5 core articles > J1.6 core articles. ;)"

• netstepinc
  • netstepinc's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #80000 by netstepinc
Replied by netstepinc on topic What happens when J1.6 comes? K2 obsolete?
Great point. I was wondering about the conversion from sections/categories to nested categories in 1.6.
Sections/categories seems like a wicked blunder from the start so it has to go....but that is some pretty nasty stuff actually, and I'm surprised more people are not freaking out about it.

Don't you think Joomla will offer some sort of upgrade utility that will port the sections and categories into the new structure?
--Sam

K2Joom said:As commented by Joomlaworks: "K2 is supported by a solid Joomla! dev company, JoomlaWorks. We've been around for more than 3 years and plan to be around for even more. That means K2 will always be upgraded to meet the demands of true professionals (and newbies too).

If you build your website now with K2, you will migrate in a snap when J1.6 comes out, because K2 WILL SUPPORT J1.6 of course the day it becomes available as RC. The same upgrade path will not be possible from J1.5 articles to J1.6. This is because of the fundamental differences in the 2 versions. If you choose K2 in J1.5 now, you will just "move" your content to K2 in J1.6 and it will JUST play. That will not JUST happen if you currently use J1.5 core articles > J1.6 core articles. ;)"

More
14 years 6 months ago #80001 by Simon Wells
Replied by Simon Wells on topic What happens when J1.6 comes? K2 obsolete?
I think that we can only speculate about it on this site.
This kind of question would get a better response over on the Joomla.org forums.

Simon

Sam M said:Great point. I was wondering about the conversion from sections/categories to nested categories in 1.6. Sections/categories seems like a wicked blunder from the start so it has to go....but that is some pretty nasty stuff actually, and I'm surprised more people are not freaking out about it.

Don't you think Joomla will offer some sort of upgrade utility that will port the sections and categories into the new structure?
--Sam

K2Joom said:As commented by Joomlaworks: "K2 is supported by a solid Joomla! dev company, JoomlaWorks. We've been around for more than 3 years and plan to be around for even more. That means K2 will always be upgraded to meet the demands of true professionals (and newbies too).

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #80002 by Tyler Toone
Replied by Tyler Toone on topic What happens when J1.6 comes? K2 obsolete?
Simon, you made my day with you response because I have been worrying about this very thing for a long time. I am setting up Joomla on approximately 50 school within our school district and almost all of them are using K2. I will cautiously look at the transition to 1.6, but your response puts me at ease a bit knowing that K2 will be moving in the right direction.

Cheers,
Tyler

More
13 years 9 months ago #80003 by Jacky
Replied by Jacky on topic What happens when J1.6 comes? K2 obsolete?
I love K2. It's one of the greatest joomla extensions, but I have a very important concern. It is this concern that causes me to worry about whether to start a site using K2.

K2 has a tool to migrate joomla articles into K2 articles, but not the other way around.

Imagine if you have a 10 year old site with millions of K2 articles. Now imagine that K2 is no longer around, or will no longer be updating to be compatible with joomla. Now you'll have millions of articles--an entire site--that you must manually convert over to joomla's core content system. Definitely not a small nor easy task.

If K2 had a tool to migrate K2 articles back to Joomla, I would choose K2 in a heartbeat! With Joomla 1.6 right around the corner, I'd imagine that it'd be possible to convert K2's nested-category articles back to Joomla's nested-category system. Are there any plans to create such a tool?

More
13 years 9 months ago #80004 by william white
Replied by william white on topic What happens when J1.6 comes? K2 obsolete?
"Imagine if you have a 10 year old site with millions of K2 articles. Now imagine that K2 is no longer around, or will no longer be updating to be compatible with joomla. Now you'll have millions of articles--an entire site--that you must manually convert over to joomla's core content system. Definitely not a small nor easy task."

Mysql is the tool for this! and what if they change it? We live in a changing world - I still like the . lotus syntax

Look up content uploader pro, a paid tool that has a lot of features

More
13 years 9 months ago #80005 by Olivier Karfis
Replied by Olivier Karfis on topic What happens when J1.6 comes? K2 obsolete?
I agree with William, technology is ever evolving (I hope you did not keep your Jaz backups ;-)

If you are planning on a website that deals with "millions of articles", you should really be looking at a storage model that is not tied to a particular vendor's/OSS data model anyways to protect your huge investment (I'd suggest you look at XML or similar)

I don't think Joomlaworks has any plans for an export to Joomla tool since you would drop lots of valuable data in the process (hence the whole reason why they built K2). As K2 becomes even more popular, you might see more tools like "content uploader pro" appear but I wouldn't base my whole content strategy on it.

--O. 

William White said:

"Imagine if you have a 10 year old site with millions of K2 articles. Now imagine that K2 is no longer around, or will no longer be updating to be compatible with joomla. Now you'll have millions of articles--an entire site--that you must manually convert over to joomla's core content system. Definitely not a small nor easy task."

Mysql is the tool for this! and what if they change it? We live in a changing world - I still like the . lotus syntax

Look up content uploader pro, a paid tool that has a lot of features

Owner of www.FrenchToday.com - K2 fan and freelancer, runs the Joomla/K2 tip site: www.yanaku.com

• BNR Investment Group
More
13 years 9 months ago #80006 by BNR Investment Group
Replied by BNR Investment Group on topic What happens when J1.6 comes? K2 obsolete?
Joomla 1.6 RC is out, any word on K2 for J1.6? I have a site that I would love to try it out on.