Keyword

User Group and Category Restriction - URGENT!

• Ingrid
  • Ingrid's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 2 months ago #97972 by Ingrid
I read a post that said if you want to restrict certain registered user groups to certain categories and not have other registered user groups able to view that content then the following can be done:

1. Make a user group for the user and assign the user to the user group

2. Make a category for the user and assign the user group to the category and set the category to Access Level registered

3. Create a menu item for the category and assign the category to the menu item and make the menu item Access Level registered.

4. Then when that particular user logs in they will only see their category that they are assigned to (so that particular menu item)

this sounds good in theory and so I tried it, however if assigning as above, anyone logged in and assigned to any category and user group can see the menu item.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to restrict the viewing of a category to a particular user group?

Please help this is URGENT!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ingrid
More
13 years 2 months ago #97973 by Ingrid
Hi Jake

Thanks for the reply. I did as you said. with regards to the menu item - there are no params in the menu set-up to govern not displaying parent category info or catalog mode - i found these in the category manager. I assigned a sub-category to one user group only. When I go to the front end menu link (while logged on as a user from the specific user group the parent category shows on the page with the sub-categories under it. When I log in as another user from another group the same menu item appears (as you said it would) and when i click on it it takes me to the same page with same category and sub-categories as the specific user group that was the only group assigned to one sub-category.

Any further ideas?

• Ingrid
More
13 years 2 months ago #97974 by Ingrid
Thanks so much for your effort Jake

I will take a look and let you know how it goes

• Ingrid
More
13 years 2 months ago #97975 by Ingrid
Hi Jake

thanks for the idea of using JUGA. I have installed it and tried configuring it. I understand how it works, but I can't seem to get the integration and link between user groups in K2 and user groups in K2. Have you got any ideas?