Keyword

Bug - K2 items not obeying access levels

• Gregwh
  • Gregwh's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 3 months ago #144698 by Gregwh
I have a site where I want to put SOME stuff out of the reach of users on a lower access level. So, I created the site in Joomla, then the user access levels in Joomla then put K2 in and imported the lot only to find that though I have a Public, Registered, Author and SuperUser level, if the article is put onto the site it wont obey the access levels. An item using Author level which is supposed to be above Public still shows to Public.

How can this be fixed please?

Greg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 3 months ago #144704 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Bug - K2 items not obeying access levels
Which version of Joomla and K2 are you using?
Also what are the menu's and categpory's permissions?

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Gregwh
More
9 years 3 months ago #144716 by Gregwh
Replied by Gregwh on topic Bug - K2 items not obeying access levels

Krikor wrote: Which version of Joomla and K2 are you using?
Also what are the menu's and categpory's permissions?

I have Joomla 3.4.1 and K2 2.6.9 which are both the latest.

Joomla controls the menus as there arent menus separately in K2. So to answer your permissions issue there arent permissions in menus in Joomla, only categories.

In the Joomla categories, there are only create, delete, edit, edit state, edit own for permissions and none of that stops anyone from seeing an alredy published K2 item. So those things in Joomla dont have any effect on the article I wish to limit to Registered and not allow Public to see.

In K2 Items, the item in question exists but it doesnt exist as a Joomla article. It displays on the web site but unfortunately to all. In K2 there is no option to hide or show an item via access level that actually works. I can set the article to show to Registered but it also shows to Public. The Permissions are the same as above and have nothing to do with display of a K2 item.

So as you can see there is no way to limit ANY K2 item to a particular access level or greater. That is why I reported it as a bug.

More
9 years 3 months ago #144718 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Bug - K2 items not obeying access levels
We used to used code like found in this thread to hide content from all but registared users
www.joomlaworks.net/forum/k2-en/37670-solved-premium-content-items-invisible-if-not-logged-in#133921
ACL levels may remove the need for this type of code in overrides but it is complicated to set up

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 3 months ago #144722 by Krikor Boghossian
By default when you select a different access level than Guest, the item is not visible to the Public.
This works in Joomla! 3.4 with K3 2.6.9 as intended.

If that does not work in your site, this means that another extension is preventing K2 from working correctly.

You can deactivate K2 related extensions at first to see which is causing this issue.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Gregwh
More
9 years 3 months ago #144731 by Gregwh
OK thanks for the help.

It appears I was correct that if you want access level driven written media on your web site, you cant use K2 without possibly getting a mod to limit access. I am almost positive I can get that from Joomla web site but I would really have preferred to have an item to read be determined by access level in K2 to be honest. After all, it actually GIVES you an access level to set on any ITEM (posting on the web site I mean) you put there. Why have that option at all if it doesnt do a thing? It seems pointless at best but it has been the source of constant annoyance to me for a while now and I thought it was SUPPOSED to work the same way as a Joomla article where I can set Joomla article access for any article to REGISTERED and it immediately disappears from the screen for anyone not logged on or for someone coming to the site later, it doesnt show up UNLESS logged on.

K2 is no easy feat to get up and running but I have had it running a long time now and it really does do marvellous stuff. This one little thing stuffs that up badly.

For future reference for anyone working on future K2 updates, here are two things that I ask be considered:

1) Fix THIS problem. If a K2 item is set to any access level other than Public then it shouldnt show for any other access level other than those with viewing access to those other levels. Eg, if I appoint a Site Administrator and put that title in K2, on the Joomla side I can set the Viewing Access level to be able to see anything posted by Site Administrator, Registered, Author, Public. With Public, I have set Joomla Viewing Access Level to see ONLY Public. K2 should obey those Joomla restrictions when applied to K2 items.

2) I would dearly love to see the ability to download any article as an ePub or PDF (eg, both there, user chooses which to use).

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 3 months ago #144762 by Krikor Boghossian
As I already stated, this works just fine out of the box.

By default when you select a different access level than Guest, the item is not visible to the Public.

If that does not work in your site, this means that another extension is preventing K2 from working correctly.

You can deactivate K2 related extensions at first to see which is causing this issue.

As for pdf's there are several scripts that are plug and play. Apart from Joomla! extension you can use scripts like www.web2pdfconvert.com/pdf-button

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Gregwh
More
9 years 3 months ago #144795 by Gregwh

Krikor wrote: As I already stated, this works just fine out of the box.

Krikor,

I have nothing installed to do that. I have Joomla (latest), K2 (latest) and also Extrawatch to stop people from certain IP addresses from entering the web site at all. None of this interferes with articles. If you can suggest what else could be the problem so I could fix it, I would very much appreciate it. Otherwise, I can prove to you, 100%, that K2 doesnt obey the rules of ACL in the items. In fact I looked into what was coming with K2 and it said as much. Full compliance with Joomla ACL is still coming.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 3 months ago #144818 by Krikor Boghossian
As I previously told you, it works perfectly fine on my end.
I cannot reproduce the error. Once I set the item a Registered access level, the item is not visible to the public.

Full compliance with Joomla ACL means that there are more options coming per category, these do not affect the access levels of the items.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
8 years 9 months ago #150163 by Udi
Hi Krikor,

Are the rules you mentioned effective when using k2 content module to display registered item in pages prior to login (public, quests)?

regards,
Udi