Keyword

Metadata information for categories

More
13 years 5 months ago #68287 by Josh
Replied by Josh on topic Metadata information for categories
I have multiple templates and multiple category.php files so to get around this I guess I could manually add the code into each sub tempate category.php file. I have multiple menu links to category lists for all my major sections and my whole site is powered with k2 so I have to address this some way. Would prefer not to add it into the html of the template. It would be great to be a able to do this via the backend however.

How would one go about adding <meta name="description" content="description text" /> into the category.php file to override the global description which appears currently? Where exactly should I place it in category.php?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #68288 by badrun badranaya
Replied by badrun badranaya on topic Metadata information for categories
I apologize for a long time not visiting this forum.I have been experimenting to add meta description in the metadata, which automatically takes the description of a category that is being opened.

Here is what I did,

Open the file : components/com_k2/templates/default/category.php

just below the code :

defined('_JEXEC') or die('Restricted access');

I added some lines like this :

$document =& JFactory::getDocument();$judul = $this->category->description;$judul = str_replace ("<p>", "", $judul);$judul = str_replace ("</p>", "", $judul);$document->setDescription("Direktori Bisnis Lampung | kategori :  $judul ");

You can see the result  here (just for example) :

direktori.lampung.cc/pendidikan/perguruan-tinggi.html

Look at the metadata description taken from the category descriptions.

Then make your own.

Note : I used Joomla! 1.5 and K2 v 2.3

More
13 years 5 months ago #68289 by Josh
Replied by Josh on topic Metadata information for categories
Hi Badrun

Thanks very much for the tip. Works like a dream however I cant believe that this its not possible to put custom meta descriptions in for category list menu items.

Thanks again

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #68290 by Mus
Replied by Mus on topic Re: Metadata information for categories
Hi
@badrun badranaya : I'm afraid to say that your tip didn't work for me. I did what you said and my categories on site were messed up. I removed the code and everything is back to normal.
We're still waiting for a magic tip to remedy this defect in K2. It's pity such a wonderful joomla solution comes short in terms of Seo :(