Keyword

How to set up RSS feed for multiple categories

• yaksushi
  • yaksushi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 9 months ago #76183 by yaksushi
I have K2 running on the latest Joomla 1.5. I would like to set up 1 rss feed for all new articles, but have no clue how to do this. Is there a guide on proper RSS feed setup with K2? here is a link to my site so you can see how jacked up the RSS is right now. www.yakangler.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #76184 by FidelGonzales
Replied by FidelGonzales on topic How to set up RSS feed for multiple categories
I believe you can enable this in the parameters, which can be seen when on the K2 component page, in the upper right hand corner.

More
14 years 7 months ago #76185 by BBCYP
I have a category called 'blogs' which has two child categories 'person a' and 'person b'. The RSS feed for 'person a' runs fine, 'person b' has no items so cannot check but anyway, a menu item for the parent category displays in the frontend as the category list view as expected (ie the same as 'person a') but the RSS link icon doesn't contain a feed.

Parent Category page : www.breakbeatcyprus.com/blogs
Parent Category feed : www.breakbeatcyprus.com/blogs?format=feed

Child Category page : www.breakbeatcyprus.com/blogs/oria
Child Category feed : www.breakbeatcyprus.com/blogs/oria?format=feed

For the 'Parent Category' when checked in www.feedvalidator.org says : 'It looks like this is a web page, not a feed. I looked for a feed associated with this page, but couldn't find one. Please enter the address of your feed to validate.'

Where am i going wrong ?

More
14 years 7 months ago #76186 by Simon Wells
Replied by Simon Wells on topic How to set up RSS feed for multiple categories
Yes, your feeds are empty.
I checked on my sites, empty feeds are displayed as k2joom.com/?format=feed then an example feed is

k2joom.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=category&id=15%3Aimage-gallery&Itemid=53&format=feed

Do you have RSS enabled in K2 Parameters? Not the category setting.

Simon

More
14 years 7 months ago #76187 by BBCYP
Thanks for checking this out, within K2 Parameters i see an section headed 'RSS Feed Settings' (is this what you mean?) and everything appears positive. Any other ideas ?

More
14 years 7 months ago #76188 by Simon Wells
You have SEF on?
Have you tested with it off?

The basic Joomla RSS is done through the module mod_syndicate, have you got this setup? On K2Joom, we do NOT use it.

In K2 parameters for RSS, there are two possible places, really they should be together IMHO.
First is near the top under Layout & view options for user (author) pages. This might be worth testing, but all this does is place an RSS feed link in the user page. This is good for per user feed subscriptions instead of site or category wide.

Then further down under RSS Feed Settings, you have Feed Limit (number of feeds to show and needs to be more than 0), Feed Items Content (show intro or full or both) and Feed Word Limit (how many words you want displayed, needs to be more than 1).

More
14 years 7 months ago #76189 by BBCYP
I disabled the syndicate and now get a different 'error' in feed validator :

XML parsing error: :2:0: xml declaration not at start of external entity ;
Feeds should not be served with the "text/html" media type ;
Your feed appears to be encoded as "utf-8", but your server is reporting "US-ASCII"

but strangely if i add to Outlook 2007 i can receive the blogs through ok, but on Facebook it doesn't 'see' the feed.

With SEF on or off the result is as above in feed validator :

SEF OFF : www.breakbeatcyprus.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&layout=category&task=category&id=3&Itemid=54&format=feed

SEF ON : www.breakbeatcyprus.com/blogs?format=feed

More
14 years 7 months ago #76190 by BBCYP
After viewing the feed code i noticed an [/iframe] line which didn't exist on your feed code, turns out the godaddy free hosting appends lines to each page it serves to generate the advert banner that sits across the top of the page.

I spent €35 euro for 1 year hosting and now the feeds validate and run fine.

Thanks for your help but i suspect if i had not been so tight i wouldn't have had the problem.

More
14 years 7 months ago #76191 by Simon Wells
Thats not a problem.
Glad you got it fixed, sorry you had to part with cash ;)

Did I tell you I would have hosted for less than that ?

Break Beat Cyprus said:After viewing the feed code i noticed an [/iframe] line which didn't exist on your feed code, turns out the godaddy free hosting appends lines to each page it serves to generate the advert banner that sits across the top of the page.
I spent €35 euro for 1 year hosting and now the feeds validate and run fine.

Thanks for your help but i suspect if i had not been so tight i wouldn't have had the problem.

More
14 years 7 months ago #76192 by BBCYP
K2Joom said:Thats not a problem. Glad you got it fixed, sorry you had to part with cash ;)

Did I tell you I would have hosted for less than that ?

I was always intending to spend the money once the site was 'fully operational' considering i have had the domain for 6 months but been so complacement lol. You didn't mention your hosting cost, and frankly i've just spent a few minutes trying to look at your profile here on the get2k forum but have failed miserably to find it.