Keyword

Using K2 as a Paid Business Directory?

• Different Color
  • Different Color's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 8 months ago #76847 by Different Color
Using K2 as a Paid Business Directory? was created by Different Color
I'm thinking about creating a Section and custom template in my K2 for PAID business listings. People can submit their own business with logo, video, description and it will appear in a directory of other businesses.

I would like to charge businesses to submit an item to this section. Has such a plugin been developed? The ability to require payment for item submission to a single section?

I know there are other Business Directories out there - but in the interests of not filling my site up with a gazillion third party solutions (I already have TONS of stuff going on), I thought maybe I could tweak something I already have to work for me.

Martha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Different Color
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 8 months ago #76848 by Different Color
Replied by Different Color on topic Using K2 as a Paid Business Directory?
haha - SOBI actually seems to be advertising themselves as a CCK - which I found funny. You may be unaware of this. From the Extensions Directory: "SOBI 2 - Content Construction Kit (CCK) and Directory Component for Joomla!. Already in 2006, as no one talks about CCK for the content management system Joomla! Sigsiu.NET developed a Content Construction Kit for Joomla!."

But I don't think it's crazy. Businesses can submit articles as part of a user group. They can submit their logo image, a video about their business, etc... into the proper K2 category. It would be a really nice way to feature and list businesses, honestly.

The only thing that would be complicated about it (that K2 is not meant to do) is to bill them for listing themselves. I was just wondering if that was something anyone else has tried. Setting up so people can only author items if they are 'subscribers'.

Also, I already have JomSocial, K2, JoomListings, a FAQ, My Blog, Kunena, and the list goes on... all these things are already active on my website - so adding yet another involved component was something I was trying to avoid by thinking outside the box with my existing components.

Martha

Fabio said:Hi Martha. What you are asking is crazy. Probably you'll ask next in sigsiu.net some help to convert SOBI2 in a full featured CCK component with support for comments, attacments, gallery, etc .... ????

More
14 years 8 months ago #76849 by Mark Banks
Replied by Mark Banks on topic Using K2 as a Paid Business Directory?
Martha,
OT: have you given any thought to Mosets Tree for the listings and an affordable commercial script to handle the subscriptions and payments (www.paymentsplus.com.au). Worth looking at if nothing else.
Mark

More
14 years 8 months ago #76850 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Using K2 as a Paid Business Directory?
You can use AEC to sell such subscriptions to allow people to publish posts. You're essentially looking for membership management. AEC integrates smoothly with K2. K2 supports the listings, AEC handles the payment and subscription routines.

For AEC look at valanx.org/

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Different Color
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 8 months ago #76851 by Different Color
Replied by Different Color on topic Using K2 as a Paid Business Directory?
No - I haven't done it yet...

Kristine said:I'm looking at doing the same type of thing for my engineering industry website.
Martha, were you able to get yours set up yet? if so, can i take a look?

More
14 years 8 months ago #76852 by Andreas Renberg
Replied by Andreas Renberg on topic Using K2 as a Paid Business Directory?
You again. ;)

Actually, that's what my client is using K2 for. They had already started using it, and already had most advertisers already saved in the lists, so I had to work around it and create a system that interfaced with K2. (It seems to be going pretty well except of the complex way extra fields are stored.)

They just keep track of each company, but I believe they keep track of which companies have paid or not elsewhere, and not in the actual K2 system.

The site is still in progress, and in Swedish, but there you can also see how the "add company to favorites" works.
www.planeradittbrollop.se/

The left hand menu is the list of different categories with companies in them.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #76853 by Carlos Flores
Replied by Carlos Flores on topic Using K2 as a Paid Business Directory?
I thought about the same. Wanting K2 for a biz directory. I went with moset tree. Its powerful component.

But i did find this templete which integrates both the k2 and moset tree components, also integrated with jomsocial.
I didnt buy it but it look cool.

Template: bizweb.styleware.eu/

More
13 years 10 months ago #76854 by Shapes
Replied by Shapes on topic Using K2 as a Paid Business Directory?
Hi all,
Did anyone manage to make this work ?
If yes, how did you do it ?
Do you have some demo or website running with it ?

I would like a system, as easy as possible for my users, for them to pay before editing content in K2...

Hoping for answers,
Best Regards,
David aka Shapes

More
13 years 10 months ago #76855 by Jiliko.net
Replied by Jiliko.net on topic Using K2 as a Paid Business Directory?
HI,

you can use AEC subs from valanx which can add a user to a specific K2 user group on plan subscription.

This solution is used on my website : www.jiliko.net

Sincerely,

Olivier

More
13 years 10 months ago #76856 by Shapes
Replied by Shapes on topic Using K2 as a Paid Business Directory?
Hi Olivier,
Thanks for you answer !
Just checked your website, looking good !!

If I understand, you have subscription plans to be able to view some content...
Would you think it would also work to make people to be able to edit content ?

I want all my visitors to be able to see all the website without paying or logging,
and the subsciptions would only be for the users that want to add content...
And a subscription plan per category would even be better...

But if you managed to add your user in custom K2 categories, I think this should be possible... ?

By the way, I also noticed your "K2 multi notify" extension, impressing ! It's a featured (paid) extension if I understood right, but I think I'll buy that one for this project !
Hoping for answer, Best regards,
David aka Shapes