Keyword

SLOW loading Category Page... what's the cause?

• joomGO
  • joomGO's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #80645 by joomGO
www.masonco.com/accessories/replacement-partsRunning K2.2 and from time to time, this menu Item: Accessories > Replacement Parts which pulls a K2 Category list takes a LONG time to load...Is this a known bug?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• joomGO
More
14 years 6 months ago #80646 by joomGO
I know it's not the hosting because we use Cloud Hosting and the rest of the site is fast loading, along with all of our sites. It's JUST this K2 menu item that hangs up from time to time...

• joomGO
More
14 years 6 months ago #80647 by joomGO
Application afterDispatch: 4.593 seconds, 13.64 MB
Application afterRender: 4.834 seconds, 15.55 MB

Seems like a lot of seconds when I run the Debug - you think the images are too big but it doesn't always take a long time to load the page.

More
14 years 6 months ago #80648 by Lefteris
Hi. Please set "Catalog mode" to "Yes" add your category/menu page. Having this to "No" will force K2 to auto retrieve the children category of the selected categories. This can be really slow on large sites.

Mike Mayleben said:Application afterDispatch: 4.593 seconds, 13.64 MB Application afterRender: 4.834 seconds, 15.55 MB

Seems like a lot of seconds when I run the Debug - you think the images are too big but it doesn't always take a long time to load the page.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• joomGO
More
14 years 6 months ago #80649 by joomGO
It is set Yes to Catalog mode and it is a menu item

More
14 years 6 months ago #80650 by Lefteris
Hi. If it is a menu item linking to only one category then you should set this on category settings too. Generally speaking K2 has been tested and found to perform really well in very large sites ( with thousands of items ) so it may be something else causing your problem. Maybe enabling system debug to see the queries will help.

Mike Mayleben said:It is set Yes to Catalog mode and it is a menu item

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• joomGO
More
14 years 6 months ago #80651 by joomGO
Everything is greyed out for Parameters (Basic) when creating a K2 Category menu item.... Is that suppose to happen??

More
14 years 6 months ago #80652 by Lefteris
Yes. This happens because when you select only one category K2 just look at category's settings no on menu item settings.

Mike Mayleben said:Everything is greyed out for Parameters (Basic) when creating a K2 Category menu item.... Is that suppose to happen??

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
13 years 8 months ago #80653 by bunglehaze
Replied by bunglehaze on topic SLOW loading Category Page... what's the cause?
I have noticed recently that regardless of catalog mode being active or not my category pages take forever to load on a 50Mbit/s connection. I have tried a variety of different things to counteract it and looking at the loading times/load and bandwidth shows that on this particular page with only 39 requests and 148kb of data it takes over 15 seconds on a clean cache which is just not good enough.

Looking at other category pages the same situation happens but if I use a third party module to display the contents we have a fast loading time, I refuse to believe that this is either a 'feature' of K2 or intended IMO - it just appears to be another bug. Within the categories in question are NO subcategories so this is not the cause, I am hopeful that K2 2.5 will fix things like this and the rss feed bug with suffixes applied and not introduce more as the last K2 update did.

More
13 years 1 month ago #80654 by Christopher Pratt
Replied by Christopher Pratt on topic SLOW loading Category Page... what's the cause?
I have a Joomla site running K2 SVN 2.5 with over 36,000 Categories and the site simply just won't load. It takes 1-2 minutes to load pages in the frontend and backend. I have set Catalog Mode to Yes. The site use to actually time out until I set my PHP Timeout Limit to 3000 (which is an astronomical timeout setting).

It doesn't look like anyone has had any luck with this? I'm desperate as this is obviously a huge project for a huge client and the site needs to launch ASAP.

The site is on its own dedicated hybrid server with cloud hosting. The specs of the dedicated server itself are more than sufficient to process this amount of data. It is a Rackspace Hosting environment that costs over 1500 dollars a month.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.