Keyword

After K2 installation google is still pointing to the old (and empty) Joomla articles

• NUNO ALEXANDRE NOGUEIRA
  • NUNO ALEXANDRE NOGUEIRA's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 8 months ago #92854 by NUNO ALEXANDRE NOGUEIRA
Hello,

I've just installed K2 in my J1.5 website, created new menus, etc.

Now: Google is still pointing to the old URLs of the old Joomla articles.

Because the menus have changed, users get an empty page...

What's the best way to handle this??

Trash old joomla articles?

What if I want to import K2 items back to joomla articles?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #92855 by BBC
With some SEF extension and manually redirect all old links. But it is some job if you have many items and links.

I wouldn´t bother about it. In Google Webdeveloper leave a sitemap and just wait. It takes some time.

More
13 years 8 months ago #92856 by Olivier Karfis
Hi.

Unless you do a 301 redirect from your old indexed Joomla pages to the new K2 items, Google will still keep that link indexed (even if the sitemap you submit has updated links).  If you also want to keep your Google juice (ie: your positioning in the ranks) for these pages, you better do a 301.  It does take time but it's the curse of changing links in a Google world... 

If you were using SEF before and your page links followed a specific naming convention then you might be able to do whole directory redirects instead of just individual file redirects. It'll be faster.  

In general, once you hare completely satisfied with your Joomla to K2 article transition and you have had time to put your site through extensive testing, I'd suggest you delete all the old Joomla articles & categories especially to avoid old indexed links not going away.  I initially did not do that and kept finding old Joomla pages in the Google indexes...

Re:  "What if I want to import K2 items back to joomla articles?" - There's no automatic way except for some extensions that import/export articles as csv but the big question is why would you want to?  Move to K2, keep your old content, test the hell out of the K2 site, once you're satisfied, more forward and never look back :-)

--Olivier

Owner of www.FrenchToday.com - K2 fan and freelancer, runs the Joomla/K2 tip site: www.yanaku.com

More
13 years 8 months ago #92857 by NUNO ALEXANDRE NOGUEIRA
Hi Olivier,

Thanks for your help.

I did install K2 without looking back, I trusted its developers (I still do).

However, my traffic has deteriorated a lot (about 50%) as I am using SEF. I know it will rebound with time, but still is disappointing to see most of the traffic going to empty pages..

Is there a simple way to do that "301"? Some tutorials or something?

Thanks!

More
13 years 8 months ago #92858 by Olivier Karfis
Nuno,

If you are loosing this much traffic, you have to do 301s!  

Are you using the Joomla SEF or a 3rd party?  If you use sh404 then go into the alias manager, find the current K2 page and add an alias of your old joomla page there (other 3rd party SEF components should have the equivalent functionality)

If you are just using the Joomla SEF then you either need to create 301 in the .htaccess file or use a extension like one of these: extensions.joomla.org/search?q=search...301+redirect&q=301+redirect&sa.x=0&sa.y=0

You can also use Admin Tools (highly recommended) to create 301s from the backend.

If you want to do it manually (be careful, .htaccess files are easy to mess up and completely screw up your site), then take a look at these pages:

www.301-redirect.info/en/advantages-of-301-redirect.html

www.tamingthebeast.net/articles3/spiders-301-redirect.htm

--Olivier

Nuno Nogueira said:

Hi Olivier,

Thanks for your help.

I did install K2 without looking back, I trusted its developers (I still do).

However, my traffic has deteriorated a lot (about 50%) as I am using SEF. I know it will rebound with time, but still is disappointing to see most of the traffic going to empty pages..

Is there a simple way to do that "301"? Some tutorials or something?

Thanks!

Owner of www.FrenchToday.com - K2 fan and freelancer, runs the Joomla/K2 tip site: www.yanaku.com

More
13 years 8 months ago #92859 by NUNO ALEXANDRE NOGUEIRA
I'm using Joomla SEF.

I'm trying to avoid 3rd party extensions to avoid trouble. I know .htaccess is complicated, so I don't even dare to touch it.

Are those Admin tool also part of k2?

Thanks for your help!

More
More
13 years 8 months ago #92861 by Olivier Karfis
@BBC 

I don't think that getting the site reviewed by the Google team will do anything for Nuno's problem.  The old links are still active and not forwarding via 301, that is not Google's indexing issue.  

Invoking the Google team is only useful if you buy an old domain name that was Google slapped or if you discover some dramatic issues with the way Google indexes your site.  Can you imagine if everyone who changed URLs had to invoke a live team to "fix" their problems?!

@Nuno,  if you don't want to use 3P tools AND 301s are too complicated for you then you need to hire someone to do the work for you.  Ignoring the problem will not fix these blank pages :-) Sure, in a couple of months, you might be lucky and Google might have dropped those pages from its index but If you are already complaining about the drop of traffic, you need to do something :-)

Admin tools is a 3rd party extension by www.akeebabackup.com that created 301 files for you, it's not part of K2.

Good luck!

--Olivier

BBC said:

www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=35843...

More
13 years 8 months ago #92862 by NUNO ALEXANDRE NOGUEIRA
Thanks,

I'm sure all K2 users have this problem... if no-one thought of a solution for this before, I would go crazy.

More
13 years 8 months ago #92863 by BBC
It´s not K2. It´s website structure and planing for many years in future.

2 months ago i archived ca 20 Joomla articles. And my unique visitors drop for 2/3.

It sucks.....big time. Positive side is that i don´t earn money via that website.