Keyword

[SOLVED] URL Issues in K2 Content / Articles etc?

• Rob Jones
  • Rob Jones's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 5 months ago #112895 by Rob Jones
Hi All,

I've noticed a weird thing happening with my URL's since installing K2 but can't nail anything down from this forum or via Google as such as to how to solve this issue.

As you will see I'm getting the following as part of my sites URL's;

index.php/2013-05-06-23-50-20/history

Where as it should be something like index.php/history

However, if you click in to the forum the URL it will read as index.php/forum/index which is more akin to how I want / need things to be in my site for better seo opportunities etc.

Does anybody know or can anybody point me in the right direction for being able to tweak and fix this frustrating issue please.

I look forward to hopefully hearing from somebody soon.

Regards,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 5 months ago #112896 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: URL Issues in K2 Content / Articles etc?
Hello Robert

You have posted an alias URL. You might want to replace /2013-05-06-23-50-20 with something human readable in your menu item's params.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Rob Jones
More
11 years 5 months ago #112897 by Rob Jones
Replied by Rob Jones on topic Re: URL Issues in K2 Content / Articles etc?
Hi Krikor,

Thanks for the reply, it's much appreciated.

May I ask as I'm a little confused, how do I get to change the alias URL K2 is using for a more readable human URL in menu item paramaters?

I've gone in to my menu manager, then clicked options and there doesn't seem to be anything relating to alias URL's in there?

I look forward to the clarification.

Regards,
Rob

Krikor Boghossian wrote: Hello Robert

You have posted an alias URL. You might want to replace /2013-05-06-23-50-20 with something human readable in your menu item's params.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 5 months ago #112898 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: URL Issues in K2 Content / Articles etc?
It is located directly under the menu item's (not menu's) Title

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Rob Jones
More
11 years 5 months ago #112899 by Rob Jones
As you will see in the screenshot, I have an alias included as you will see and I now know if this is the area what you are on about, I "Always" include an Alias when creating a menu item etc.

So it seems that it leads to something else being at fault but I don't know what?

Krikor Boghossian wrote: It is located directly under the menu item's (not menu's) Title

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 5 months ago #112900 by Krikor Boghossian
Robert this is a com_content article not a K2 item.

You should check your menu inheritance and parent items.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Rob Jones
More
11 years 5 months ago #112901 by Rob Jones
Krikor,

So it was my mistake there, well having changed the menu item to k2 article, inserted the History k2 article and then saved that menu item, then go to: swswsws.co.uk/index.php/2013-05-06-23-50-20/history#.UYuivMr4Vj4 and there's several errors showing up, as I have joomla error code turned up to max at present to try and sort this issue out.

Maybe I should just un-install every element of K2, re-install the latest version and try again?

Krikor Boghossian wrote: Robert this is a com_content article not a K2 item.

You should check your menu inheritance and parent items.

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #112902 by Eric
i had this irritating issue at first too, doesn't seem to be much on the net about fixing it either

if it's the same as what it was for me, it seems to have nothing to do with k2, and it's your menu structure that's causing the issue

the date comes from having an "External URL" menu item as the parent of in your case the 'history' menu item, and because "External URL" can not set an alias, it defaults to a date

menuitem1
--- menuitem2
menuitem3

and so on, if any are set to "External URL", and you have anything under it, it will cause this issue

to fix it either:

1. change the problem menu item's type to "Text Separator" that way you can set an alias, so your url would be:

/index.php/(text-alias)/history

2. move everything up a level, and move/remove the "External URL" which should make:

/index.php/history

i like to modify things, and make them do unintended things

• Rob Jones
More
11 years 5 months ago #112903 by Rob Jones
Hi Eric,

Thank you for your post and guidance it's very much appreciated.

It does seem to be what's happened for me, however I have a slight problem in that I cannot get rid of one of the menu items set as external URL, as my joomla theme from the great guys over at RocketTheme enables me to have my Community Builder "Register / Login" module, open via a menu item in a popup box via an external link with
Eric wrote: i had this irritating issue at first too, doesn't seem to be much on the net about fixing it either

if it's the same as what it was for me, it seems to have nothing to do with k2, and it's your menu structure that's causing the issue

the date comes from having an "External URL" menu item as the parent of in your case the 'history' menu item, and because "External URL" can not set an alias, it defaults to a date

menuitem1
--- menuitem2
menuitem3

and so on, if any are set to "External URL", and you have anything under it, it will cause this issue

to fix it either:

1. change the problem menu item's type to "Text Separator" that way you can set an alias, so your url would be:

/index.php/(text-alias)/history

2. move everything up a level, and move/remove the "External URL" which should make:

/index.php/history

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #112904 by Eric
ah, ok, well there's a way to bypass it by using another menu, then linking to it from your main one, so we could do this instead:

create a new menu in Menu Manager, and move you 'history' item to that menu (all your links will still work, just that direct link won't be visible on the frontend)

then create a new menu item, of the "external URL" type, where 'history' use to be, and place the full url in the link box (http, and all)

since 'history' is on the root of the other other menu, it's link should now be

i like to modify things, and make them do unintended things