Keyword

Help with SEO / Pagination

• Lee Collings
  • Lee Collings's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #155975 by Lee Collings
Help with SEO / Pagination was created by Lee Collings
Not sure how I can solve this, as documentation seems very sparse, and the community for K2 / Joomla doesn't seem to be anywhere near as large as Wordpress does.

Saying that, hopefully there's a simple way to solve my issues! I appreciate all kinds of help!

I'm trying to SEO optimise my website, using SEO Screaming Frog to show all missing/duplicated titles and meta descriptions.

Firstly, I've noticed that the pagination links at the bottom of the page generated by K2, are creating URL parameters to show different items on the page. These are going to /itemlist?start=4 etc. How can I make this appear SEO friendly like /page/2/ etc?

Next, to get rid of the duplicate meta tag descriptions, I'd like to append the page numbering to the end of the meta description and title tags. CAn I do this dynamically somehow?

Lastly, I have some K2 categories assigned to menu items, which give me a structured URL to use. But they also have their own, generated by K2. Can I get rid of these somehow? IT's very messy, and doesn't seem to be anywhere as nice as Wordpress' menu structure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #155979 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Help with SEO / Pagination
Hello,

K2 uses Joomla!'s default pagination (eg: check the URLs in joomla.org www.joomla.org/announcements.html?start=6 )

If you want to change the pattern of these URLs to have it /page/number you will need an SEO extension, preferably one which support K2.

Now as for the URLs do the following:
a) Map each category into a separate menu item,
b) Create an empty K2 category menu item (leave the category selection empty) and call it eg: content to have all orphan tags and user render through that menu.

Or, if you decide to use an SEO extension which enforces new URL patterns, make sure it supports K2.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Lee Collings
More
8 years 2 months ago #155980 by Lee Collings
Replied by Lee Collings on topic Help with SEO / Pagination
Why do I need a plugin? Doesn't Joomla / K2 have built in support to be able to add pagination to the meta descriptions? I've already installed an SEO plugin, but that requires manually entering every single description for each individual URL.

I Really don't want to have to do that... This is a CMS, there must be an easier way to use placeholders.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #155983 by Krikor Boghossian
You do not need to enter new metadata, adding rel links (prev/next) will solve this issue.
Since you are using an SEO plugin/ extension, I presume it will have this functionality.

Furthermore the pagination is core functionality, K2 does not implement any rules/ functionality of its own.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
8 years 2 months ago #155984 by Joe Campbell
Replied by Joe Campbell on topic Help with SEO / Pagination
Hello Lee,

Either of the Manage CMS Canomical Extensions can provide support for rel="prev/next"

I hope this helps,

Joe Campbell

• Lee Collings
More
8 years 2 months ago #155997 by Lee Collings
OKay, you'll need to explain to me what's happening here.

Firstly, I'm not going to pay for a plugin to do what should be happening in the first place. This should be core functionality. I'm happy to dive into code, but I'm not just going to be throwing plugins to try and fix things. That's awful.

Secondly, I don't understand the reference to rel="next/prev". What does that mean, and what relevance does it have to my pagination links at the bottom of the page or the meta descriptions for each page? Each URL needs a meta description, and a unique one. Which can be resolved by adding ' - Page #' at the end of the descriptions for page 2 onwards.

This makes no sense at all, I'd appreciate if someone could try explaining why it's not working out of the box.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #155999 by Krikor Boghossian
Joomla! is the CMS and K2 is the extension.
K2 uses core CMS functionality. If you want to change the CMS' functionality you need an extension.

The rel attribute will indicate that a page is a part of an archive and provides the link to the next and previous page.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Lee Collings
More
8 years 2 months ago #156003 by Lee Collings
But that's not going to make any change to the physical URLs of the pagination links at the bottom of the page is it? That's what I want to change.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #156006 by Krikor Boghossian
As I already said, this is core Joomla! functionality, unrelated to K2.
You need an extension in order to change these URLs.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Lee Collings
More
8 years 2 months ago #156007 by Lee Collings
Can I insert a hook or function to my template's function file that will override that part of the core code, and allow me to manually code the links?