Keyword

Author page view and titles very disorganised

• Frederic Egersdorfer
  • Frederic Egersdorfer's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 9 months ago #174048 by Frederic Egersdorfer
Author page view and titles very disorganised was created by Frederic Egersdorfer
Hi, I have an issue I'd like to address.
Today and even before this, with other versions of K2 the author page that shows all their written content seems to display everything, titles and even the text/description (content body)

I just want an image to show on the left, neat and tidy with the title and perhaps a short description.

The link as seen below looks very disorganized and makes no sense.
www.undergroundpress.co.za/off-the-press/author/338-fredericegersdorfer

I know the next link I'm about to direct you to, does not use k2, or if it does. why does my site not have this tidy display?
www.nme.com/author/gary-ryan

Is there some CSS that can fix this?

I really don't like the fact that it shows all the content. I'd like it to show short descriptions
Notice in the author options how limited the feature settings are.

I am currently running, K2 v2.10.2

Please help.
Thank you
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #174054 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Author page view and titles very disorganised
You're looking at the wrong place :)

These author options relate to the author block that can be displayed at the end of a K2 item. That's why they are basic.

The author listings are autogenerated pages and as such are controlled by their respective options in the K2 Settings. Open the settings and at the very first tab, scroll down to "User listings (blogs)". These are the options to control that "view".

The reason you're seeing all the content is probably because there is no intro/fulltext separation. Because the author view only displays the introtext by default (which you can toogle on/off).

So update the view settings for these author pages and then you need some CSS to make it look like NME, e.g. bigger titles, positioned right to the images. Shape it up the best you can and ping me again for any tweaks.

Keep in mind that it's my plan to add more view options in K2 v2.11.0 for these generic listings (author, tag etc.) so they are inline with category view options as well. E.g. image size selection, the option to render more things (e.g. the fulltext, media and so on). Additionally, they will share 95% of HTML structure which will allow for working on the category view yet allow for the generic listings to easily inherit the same layout.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
4 years 9 months ago #174055 by JoomlaWorks
I like your site BTW. If you don't mind, I'm gonna add it to the K2 showcase.

---

• Frederic Egersdorfer
More
4 years 9 months ago #174059 by Frederic Egersdorfer
Replied by Frederic Egersdorfer on topic Author page view and titles very disorganised
Oh, wow... This is so, helpful. I managed to get rid of the content... This helps for now... I'm going to play around with css in the chrome editor, but to be honest, I'd be more confident with your planned update in version 2.11.0

As long as the image shows to the left, title to the right of the image with some intro text to the right as well, then It would make all the more sense to use it that way. I only used NME as an example... But I think mine can look better than that, if you and your team implement, the changes.

Thank you,
Fred

• Frederic Egersdorfer
More
4 years 9 months ago #174060 by Frederic Egersdorfer
Replied by Frederic Egersdorfer on topic Author page view and titles very disorganised
By all means, please add it. You are more than welcome and thank you for the compliment. 17 years, next year..

From, Dreamweaver, to mambo, to Joomla, simple website to adding K2. I've grown attached to k2 and nothing can switch me to WordPress. I hate it. lol

More
4 years 9 months ago #174061 by JoomlaWorks
That's a long journey Frederic, congrats!

All I can say is that K2 will grow better and better in the coming years and who knows, maybe someday it'll support WordPress as well :)

---

• Frederic Egersdorfer
More
4 years 9 months ago #174063 by Frederic Egersdorfer
Nah, stick with Joomla. lol, Wordpress is a nightmare. - I work in both platforms. - but who knows, maybe one day you will. In the meantime. i'm really enjoying this platform, K2 and Joomla and the capabilities are endless.

You have really created a fantastic platform... - The other day I had to purchase the google structured data plugin for this component. I use JCEditor with it. Nothing better than this.

Okay, on the css I mentioned... I tried adjusting it. seems like there is no way to change it there, so I look forward to your update with image size options and alignment options etc.

Thank you so much for this Fotis. You are a star.

More
4 years 9 months ago #174065 by JoomlaWorks
Keep in mind that Google's Structured Data are built-into Joomla since v2.10.0 :)

Look at the "SEO" section in the K2 Settings.

Check out an example: search.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool#url=https%3A%2F%2Fgetk2.org%2Fblog%2F2691-k2-v2102-released-now-with-a-100-mobile-friendly-backend-user-interface

As for the changes to the author view, you don't need to wait for the update. With 6 lines of CSS I made the author view look like this: jmp.sh/SWEQEBN
div.userItemIsFeatured:before {display:none;}
div.userItemHeader {float:right;width:62%;}
div.userItemHeader h3.userItemTitle {padding:10px 0 4px 0;margin:0;font-size:32px;}
div.userItemBody {float:left;width:38%;}
div.userItemLinks {margin:0 0 16px 0;padding:0;display:block;float:left;}
div.userItemReadMore {display:none;}

---

• Frederic Egersdorfer
More
4 years 9 months ago #174067 by Frederic Egersdorfer
FOTIS, DUDE!!! You Rock. Thank you so much for this.
Shew!!! okay, where do you suggest I place this code?

• Frederic Egersdorfer
More
4 years 9 months ago #174070 by Frederic Egersdorfer
I tried looking around for the css file to dump this in. Any direction will do. Thank you, Fotis.