Keyword

Limit Attachment Downloads to Registered Users?

• benbogart
  • benbogart's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 11 months ago #57102 by benbogart
Is it possible to limite attachment downloads to registered users?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #57103 by troponin
You'll have to set a if...else Clause in the item.php where you check the Usergroup of the User like :

• benbogart
  • benbogart's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 11 months ago #57104 by benbogart
Thank you!

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #57105 by Adrian Cumpanasu
Replied by Adrian Cumpanasu on topic Re: Limit Attachment Downloads to Registered Users?
can you give me exactly the path to item.php?

Also, where exactly should this code be inserted?

can the code be adapted to restrict download if the item is featured?

I tried this code in components/com_k2/templates/default/item.php but I get a blank page.

Here are the lines of code I found:
<?php if($this->item->params->get('itemAttachments') && count($this->item->attachments)): ?>

<!-- Item attachments -->
          <div class="itemAttachmentsBlock">
                  <span><?php echo JText::_('K2_DOWNLOAD_ATTACHMENTS'); ?></span>
                  <ul class="itemAttachments">
                    <?php foreach ($this->item->attachments as $attachment): ?>
                    <li>
                            <a title="<?php echo K2HelperUtilities::cleanHtml($attachment->titleAttribute); ?>" href="<?php echo $attachment->link; ?>"><?php echo $attachment->title; ?></a>
                            <?php if($this->item->params->get('itemAttachmentsCounter')): ?>
                            <span>(<?php echo $attachment->hits; ?> <?php echo ($attachment->hits==1) ? JText::_('K2_DOWNLOAD') : JText::_('K2_DOWNLOADS'); ?>)</span>
                            <?php endif; ?>
                    </li>
                    <?php endforeach; ?>
                  </ul>
          </div>
          <?php endif; ?>

then I replaced this:
<?php if($this->item->params->get('itemAttachments') && count($this->item->attachments)): ?>
with
<?php $user =& JFactory::getUser(); ?>

<php if($user->get('guest') ==0 ): ?>

So I get a blank page. not working the way I understood.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #57106 by Adrian Cumpanasu
Replied by Adrian Cumpanasu on topic Re: Limit Attachment Downloads to Registered Users?
Wow, I did it!!! I found a condition on the comments lines, copied and modified it.
This is what I have now working:

<?php $user = &JFactory::getUser(); if ($user->guest): ?>
 <h2>You need to <a href="http://digitalprimes.com/index.php/component/users/?view=registration">register</a> to download this file.</h2>
 <h3>...registration is free</h3>
          <?php endif; ?>

<?php $user = &JFactory::getUser(); if (!$user->guest): ?>
          <div class="itemAttachmentsBlock">
                  <span><?php echo JText::_('K2_DOWNLOAD_ATTACHMENTS'); ?></span>
                  <ul class="itemAttachments">
                    <?php foreach ($this->item->attachments as $attachment): ?>
                    <li>
                            <a title="<?php echo K2HelperUtilities::cleanHtml($attachment->titleAttribute); ?>" href="<?php echo $attachment->link; ?>"><?php echo $attachment->title; ?></a>
                            <?php if($this->item->params->get('itemAttachmentsCounter')): ?>
                            <span>(<?php echo $attachment->hits; ?> <?php echo ($attachment->hits==1) ? JText::_('K2_DOWNLOAD') : JText::_('K2_DOWNLOADS'); ?>)</span>
                            <?php endif; ?>
                    </li>
                    <?php endforeach; ?>
                  </ul>
          </div>
          <?php endif; ?>
          <?php endif; ?>

This code hides the download link and display a registration text for unregistered users.

But what I really need is to show all articles and links to guests, but only on the featured articles to show the article but hide the download link.

I will try to do it myself even if I don't know php. I tell you if I succeed. I would appreciate some help.

More
12 years 4 months ago #57107 by Ro
Hello all!

I´m also looking for a way of doing this and, although this method do work (thank you all involved in the solution!), I´m concerned regarding one detail: this limit decides whether if the donload link is shown or not, but if anyone did know the URL of the download link, the attachment could be downloaded, either being logged in the system or not.

In fact, I´ve also tried to make a "Copy link URL" of an attachment of a site that is offline (still in developement), and pasted that link in a new browser. The download is active, even when the site is offline.

Would it be possible to include a limitation inside the script that serves the attachment?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards.