Adjusting item view

• quiggles
  • quiggles's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 11 months ago #57265 by quiggles
Adjusting item view was created by quiggles
Hi guys

I'm completely brand new to K2 so forgive me for a newbie question. :blink:

It took me a little while to realise that to chang the way an article, sorry item looks you need to go into the category of that item and alter the item view there. So that's where I turned various features on and off to get the look I wanted.

So my question is this - is there a way to do this so that all categories and their items look the same? It seems an awful lot of work to define this for every category, when in fact it could be done centrally and then overrides applied in certain categories as required?

Or have I missed something - there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of documentation available. :dry:

Gary
B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #57266 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
Replied by Kannan Naidu Venugopal on topic Re: Adjusting item view
Hi Gary Quigley,

You can use the Inherit Parameters Option from Category and select the Category which has all the item view option set. Like the img below, i have all the options set in my Profile category and i created another category call Products and inherited all the options from my Profile category. This way all the category will look the same if you're not doing any template overrides. You can mouse over the "Learn what this means" to understand more.

K2 Rocks \m/
Attachments:

• quiggles
  • quiggles's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 11 months ago #57267 by quiggles
Replied by quiggles on topic Re: Adjusting item view
Thanks for that, very helpful!

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
12 years 11 months ago #57268 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
Replied by Kannan Naidu Venugopal on topic Re: Adjusting item view
You're welcome ;)

K2 Rocks \m/

More
12 years 7 months ago #57269 by Kutt Niinepuu
Replied by Kutt Niinepuu on topic Re: Adjusting item view
Common logic would presume that when I choose to inherit settings from another category, it applies only those settings that I havent already changed for this particular category. So that I could define a broad set of "defaults" in a parent category and then only change those values that need to differ per child category. But currently in K2 if this "child override" exists, it is ambiguous. There is no way to tell which values have been overridden and which ones are defaulting to the parent category.
If I could make a suggestion here in this thread, then it would be perfect to apply the same logic that is with the K2 Item. If I add a K2 Item then there is a list of all those familiar options but with drop down selectors - Inherit from category / Hide / Show. This is very clear, which values are overridden and which are defaults. Could this be applied to the categories as well in future releases? Someone? :whistle:

Thanks for your time!
Attachments: