Keyword

K2 templating what is the right way?

• Dragan Todorovic
  • Dragan Todorovic's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #57796 by Dragan Todorovic
K2 templating what is the right way? was created by Dragan Todorovic
I have read the docs and already made couple custom templates with K2 but today noticed some inconsistency. Using 3in1 K2 2.5 Joomla 1.5.24

Let say you are overriding k2/templates/default , if you use your K2 template name as default everything works fine , you can override each K2 requested page and also do override trough

templates/template_name/html/com_k2 , so this is all nice and clear .

Now , lest say you don't want to name your template as default , you want it as Bookstore so that users can switch the templates in K2 admin

so the steps for joomla template override

1. Create Bookstore folder in templates/template_name/html/com_k2/templates folder
now we have
templates/template_name/html/com_k2/templates/Bookstore
(Also tested with templates/template_name/html/com_k2/Bookstore )

2.move files and folders from ,

components/com_k2/templates/

3. rename default folder name to Bookstore.

4. assign Bookstore to your main K2 category( make sure other cats inherit params from this one)

looks kinda ok right?

Well, now remove item title from

templates/template_name/html/com_k2/templates/Bookstore/tags.php

Go to your joomla menu and create new K2 tag
funny thing here is that I MUST choose Bookstore template again otherwise I am reset to default ,
OK did that , moving on , I have 4 tags and option lets me choose only 1 . fine , lets see what happens.

now , go to frontend , click on the new menu created , your template override works , you will see items without title ,

OK , stay right there , go inside the item , and find item tags , click on ANOTHER tag , not the one you made menu for ,

bum , override resets to default ,
even worse is if you change menu item type to Item , there is no option to select template for it , all you can choose is item itself and with that your are reset to default automatically and your Bookstore custom layout will not work.

So please , let me know if I am missing a setting or this is how it is and I should use default and stop messing with template names,

what I did notice is if I have both folders , default and Bookstore in

templates/template_name/html/com_k2/templates/

everything works , but now I am not sure which one has precedence

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dragan Todorovic
  • Dragan Todorovic's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #57797 by Dragan Todorovic
Replied by Dragan Todorovic on topic Re: K2 templating what is the right way?
and one more , after you click on Tag menu item , and go inside the item ,

click on user link that Item belongs to , if you also did override for user.php it wont work , resets to default again

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.