Keyword

Major Upgrades

• Gameinatrix
  • Gameinatrix's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 11 months ago #57963 by Gameinatrix
Major Upgrades was created by Gameinatrix
Hello lovelies!

I'm so happy you all upgraded so that WE could upgrade. I'm always loyal to good work. Now, the other day I tried updating my entire Joomla installation via instructions I found here. As I wanted to update my k2 as well and not risk losing our content.

I saw that I was to update k2 first THEN use Jupdate to do the rest. The K2 upgrade went swimmingly. Jupdate updated us from 1.5 to 1.5.24 but would go no further. I found another link to use instructions found on the Wiki and that's where it went wrong. The story ended with us having to have our hosting company do a restore back to a week ago.

I have tried the Joomla forums but honestly I tend to get better advice over here than I do there and it's VERY important that we keep our k2 data in tact. That is where 95% of our content lives, lol. We'd like to fully upgrade, to 1.7 is there a way to do so or I should say an easier way that we've been told via the Wiki? One that keeps in mind we are NOT developers (we're gamers and geeky but we're NOT developers so the instructions need to be simple, like we're 5 year olds)

We appreciate any help offered.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #57964 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Re: Major Upgrades
1. Get akeeba and backup and dl the jpa first!
Upgrade Joomla with the package from Joomla.org from wherever you are to 1.5.24
Upgrade to K2 2.5 on this install - use latest package
Now get jupgrade and do the upgrade of the site to 1.7
Test the result in the jupgrade directory.
Look at administrator and check k2 version
If necessary install 2.5 again to the latest release
Jupgrade (may) have added support for upgrading the component k2, but i havent seen it working yet.
Now, what about the template and other extensions and plugins.....
The most important part of this process is step #1

• Gameinatrix
More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #57965 by Gameinatrix
Replied by Gameinatrix on topic Re: Major Upgrades
Hi William!

Thanks so much for your help, however not sure what you mean this part:

Test the result in the jupgrade directory.

LOL we did say explain like we were 5 year olds. Assume we know absolutely nothing and you're walking us through it that way.

More
12 years 11 months ago #57966 by william white
From the jupgrade docs...jupgrade creates, or in the version i last used created, a directory within the root directory called jupgrade, where an entire install of 1.7 lived in addition to your existing site. You can test and tweak that install before copying it to your sites root as per instructions in jupgrade (again, this may have changed) - be sure to check the documentation for jupgrade
and do not forget step 1, the most important step

• Gameinatrix
More
12 years 11 months ago #57967 by Gameinatrix
GAH I did one step out of step. I backed up AFTER I upgraded K2. It didn't really hurt anything other than threw some mods out of whack and I noticed after doing the Jupgrade my template and all my installed components and such were missing from the menu. Should I have gone ahead and just updated my template to a 1.7 one just to see if it would help or did not doing that one step in the order you suggested cause the issue?

More
12 years 11 months ago #57968 by william white
If you are up to 1.7 and also k2 2.5 and your items, categories, and users etc are there, next is the task of putting a 1.7 compatiable template to the site and redoing your modules and menus.
Some of them may work, but best bet would be to go thru the site and test everything after updating the template..Depending on your site, this may or may not be a simple task

• Gameinatrix
More
12 years 11 months ago #57969 by Gameinatrix
Ok

I have another, what may seem like dumb, question. Once I updated the first time I could see the 1.7 back end but of course none of my things. K2 was not showing or any of that. My site had reverted to the default Joomla site.

Would I just need to reinstall everything to get it to show? And when I say show I mean via the Components menu in the back end etc. I could see my menus on the front page but they weren't of course where they should be nor linked to where they should be. Is it as simple as going in and reconnecting them? That I'm pretty sure I could do in record time. (I've stripped and put the site back together completely differently in about 2 days or less before, once I come up with a plan, that is)

Also I didn't think I'd done the upgrade properly the first time so I lathered, rinsed and repeated and got an error. Could I go in and just delete the Jupgrade folder to try it from scratch, without it hurting anything?

PS, My k2 is all updated and working nicely. I do love you guys, when you do good work, you do good work!

More
12 years 11 months ago #57970 by Marc
Replied by Marc on topic Re: Major Upgrades
Once you use the jupgrade, your new site will be located at example.com/jupgrade/

You need to follow the steps at the end of the wiki to get that site live