Keyword

Please explain the use of K2 Content module

• Andrea
  • Andrea's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 10 months ago #59696 by Andrea
This is another very basic / beginner question, so please don’t be shy and post a reply! ;)

I just discovered the module “K2 Content” and I’m trying to figure out how to use it.
Let’s say that I have a site dedicated to travel, with two main categories: Europe and Asia, and there are 2 menu choices named Europe and Asia.
It seems to me that there are two ways to show all the articles belonging to one of the two categories:
  • 1st method: Using a K2 menu of type “Categories”
  • 2nd method: Using a module of type “K2 Content” configured to display only the items of a specific category.

I tried both methods and I’m getting similar results, so… What’s the difference? Which one should I use? When “K2 Content” should be used?
Apparently the first choice requires less work (I don’t have to create a K2 Content module for each category), but documentation says that “K2 Content” is the main way to display contents and it makes me think that I’m not doing it right by not using it at all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andrea
More
12 years 10 months ago #59697 by Andrea
The fact that a very basic question like this did not receive any replies might indicate one of two things:

A) The question didn't make any sense
B) There isn't much hope for novice users like me to get useful answers in this forum

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #59698 by Eoin Feeney
Replied by Eoin Feeney on topic Re: Please explain the use of K2 Content module
Hey, I hope I can help you.

If you use the menu item, you will link directly to the K2 content category you select.

If you use the K2 content module, you will create a module. A module is the same in all aspects of Joomla. It displays in one of the module positions. That module could be placed next to other content for example, or other items which are not K2 items.

A further benefit of the K2 module is that you will be able to have greater control, for example by displaying K2 items by tag.

I hope this clears things up, if not ask more questions :)

As an example you can see this page:
uglyfashionmedia.com/index.php/childcare-voucher-forums#.TtKvSvLLZBM
1. The main text is a K2 content item.
2. The part on the right stating support website, is a K2 module item, which has been filtered by tag. That has allowed me to select a specific item from a category quite easily by adding a tag to that item.

• Andrea
More
12 years 10 months ago #59699 by Andrea
Thanks Oliver, I'm going to do some experiments based on what you said.
Unfortunately, when I try to open the link in your reply, I get the following error:

The encoded file /home/ufmcom/public_html/components/com_k2/sef_ext.php requires a license file ../com_sef/key.txt. in Unknown on line 0

Andrea

More
12 years 10 months ago #59700 by Chaz Steadman
Replied by Chaz Steadman on topic Re: Please explain the use of K2 Content module
I can't bring up the website either.

Perhaps someone could do a short tutorial because I don't really understand modules also.

More
12 years 10 months ago #59701 by Eoin Feeney
Replied by Eoin Feeney on topic Re: Please explain the use of K2 Content module
Sorry, it's fixed now. It was to do with my SEF extension (that and my tiredness).

If you don't understand modules you should probably look at the Joomla! website. But as a brief tutorial:

If you look at this web page, you will see the forum in the middle. That is controlled by a component. The component is normally placed into the main content area. This is also where your content appears if you write an article or a K2 item for example.

Surrounding that are module positions. These positions are controlled by your Joomla template. If you look on this site you can see that there are modules on the right with adverts, up the top with adverts, and down below with adverts.

The menus are also controlled by module positioning, but that will probably just confuse you.

To understand it better go to your joomla administration, go to the module manager, then look for a module that is published. I think it's probably easiest if you find one that is published in the left or right position, which is common to most templates. Then look at the front end of your site and you'll see those modules.

If you look at the example of this web page, the adverts on the right, are probably in the "right" module position.

To summarise; modules position content, or other features (polls, adverts whatever). Modules positions are controlled by the joomla template.

More
12 years 1 week ago #59702 by saludxtod@s
Replied by saludxtod@s on topic Re: Please explain the use of K2 Content module
I think I'm having a similar problem. I've installed and configures K2 on my J2.5 enviroment.
I've created categories and sub-categories and created an item (article) in one of them. I selected it as a featured article also
I was expecting to see this article in the front page but nothing shows.... what can I be doing wrong???? Why articles are not showed in the front-end?

I know I'm asking a very basic question but that's because there is no basic documentation to start using the component....

Thanks in advance.
Cecilia

More
12 years 1 week ago #59703 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Re: Please explain the use of K2 Content module
You will need to change your home page type to K2 cagegory OR
publish a k2_content module to your front page with the category selected
See the movies from ostraning under documentation for a good start

More
12 years 1 week ago #59704 by lonu
Hi all,

I have a K2 content as module displayed in the front page. I am trying to display 3 columns (all items from K2 items) side by side. Currently the columns are one below the other. Any idea how to fix this?

So far I am looking at div.k2ItemsBlock and the 'odd' 'even' zebra rows from the k2.css

Any help would be great. Thanks.