Keyword

Force all child categories to inherit settings

• shoulders
  • shoulders's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #60118 by shoulders
I have looked in to the inherit settings drop down menu in categories but i think it is lacking. Let me explain.

I am migrating my knowledgebase from quickfaq which is nice and simple. i have managed to get the top category setup how i like but when i now setup up each sub category i have to tell that category to inherit from my top folder rather that it actually being inherited properely. This could be time consuming and prone to human error.

To improve this feature I would like to see two further options being added to the inherited settings drop down box

'All child categories should inherit these settings unless they opt out'
'Do not inherit from parent category'

This would allow me to setup one category how i wanted my knowledgebase setup, but i would only have to do it once and not edit all my categories and hope i got them all.

'All child categories should inherit these settings unless they opt out' - would force all child catgories to inherit those permissions (similiar to how windows cascades its permissions).
'Do not inherit from parent category' - would allow a category to opt out and break the chain.

This would also maintain compatability.

One other thing is that an indicator on a category when you edit it shows that it is inheriting its settings and where from. This will stop a lot of hunting and guessing.

I could not find where to post this as a feature request, so anyones thougts about this or where i could post a feature request would be great.

thanks

shoulders

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.