Keyword

menu: categories and subcategories

• argie
  • argie's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 9 months ago #60409 by argie
menu: categories and subcategories was created by argie
Hello,

I need to do a menu that point to a father category, and when someone does click on it I need to show a subcategory list. And when someone does click on an item of these subcategories I need to show a list of articles: just title, and perhaps the author.

I.e. I need to do a menu to a category with subcategories as Joomla does by default. How could I do it? Is it possible to do it with K2 categories/subcategories?

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
12 years 9 months ago #60410 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
Replied by Kannan Naidu Venugopal on topic Re: menu: categories and subcategories
Yes, of course it's possible. Maybe you can give some real examples? eg, menu name, cat name and sub cat names.. a lot easier to explain.

K2 Rocks \m/

• argie
More
12 years 9 months ago #60411 by argie
Replied by argie on topic Re: menu: categories and subcategories
Ok, thank you.

My problem is I'm migrating and old Joomla 1.0.x site to Joomla 1.5.x (this last with K2 and template of Joomla XTC).
Everything was OK during the migration. But now I have to sets of categories and articles: one that is the original Joomla set, and the set of K2.

So, on the old site this was the configuration:

Section1
Category1
Subcategory1
Subcategory2
Subcategory3

And on the menus I had items pointing to "Category1". When I did clic on it I got a page with a list of subcategories (just the title, authot, and hits), and when I did clic on a subcategory I got a list of articles.

Now, on the new site with K2 the old "Section1" becomes a "Category0".
But I need to do exactly the same, i.e., a menu item pointing to "Category1" that shows a page with a list of subcategories, and when I do clic on this subcategories I need to show a list of articles (just a list, I don't need images, intro text, etc.)

I don't know if this is a problem (or a feature) of the new template I'm using, but when I create a K2 Category item I got directly a list of articles, with intro text, images, etc. And I can't figure out how to fix it.

Thank you for your help.

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
12 years 9 months ago #60412 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
Replied by Kannan Naidu Venugopal on topic Re: menu: categories and subcategories
Hi argie,

After you create a menu item to Category1, just go to the Category1 -> Category Item Layout -> Other layout options and set the Catelog Mode to Yes. This will not display any articles that is inside SubCategory1 or Subcategory2. So, you will see only the Subcategory folders.

Next goto the Subcategory folder -> Item view options in category listing -> and hide all those info that you don't want to show.

You can make use of the category folder parameters to set what should be shown and what not to be shown.

Hope this helps :)

K2 Rocks \m/

• argie
More
12 years 9 months ago #60413 by argie
Hello,

I understand your comment perfectly, but it doesn't works.
What I did was configure category1 with "catalog mode=yes", and then I create a menu item pointing to that k2 category. When I do click on that menu item I get what you can see on the attached image (a list of folders, but I still get the articles...)

Attachment not found

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
12 years 9 months ago #60414 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
Are the articles published in the Category1 folder? If yes, then it will show because it directly belong to that particular category. The articles should be published in the sub-categories.

K2 Rocks \m/

• argie
More
12 years 9 months ago #60415 by argie
Thank Kannan.
Now I got just the list of folders.
But the next problem is that when I do click on a folder I got a list of articles with intro text, an small image, author, etc. And I just want to see a list of article (and perhaps the creation data) and nothing else.

So, what I did was to change the configuration of Subcategory1 under the title of "Item view options in category listings" and nothing happens: I still continue seeing the articles like the attached images... (:

Attachment not found

• argie
More
12 years 9 months ago #60416 by argie
Hi,

this is just for to reporting a possible bug of K2.
According to my test with last version of K2, it seems not to inherit well the categories' parameters to the items.
On my test (with template Style Council) even when on a category the parameter "Extra fields" is setup to hide, the items inside the category is showing it. So, the only way to avoid it is setting up this "hide" on every item.

Regards.

More
12 years 9 months ago #60417 by Gregwh
Replied by Gregwh on topic Re: menu: categories and subcategories

Kannan Naidu wrote: Are the articles published in the Category1 folder? If yes, then it will show because it directly belong to that particular category. The articles should be published in the sub-categories.

I hope you can help ME, too. I have a site that has a top level category and under that are other categories, some which go to sub categories and then display arrticle lists which the user can click on one at a time. Some go from the top level category straight to category lists of articles that the user can click on one at a time. In all cases, if there are pictures, they are within the articles themselves.

Under straight Joomla 1.73, I can display all this the way I want but under K2, if you click on any sub category within the top level category, all you get is every single article under any category or sub category, all showing at once on the one page going down, down down. My site is a left and right panel navigation site with articles displayed in between.

My question is - how the heck do I get K2 to understand how I want it to be? I want K2 to show the article lists in each category or sub category for that particular one only and when the user clicks on an article, to show ONLY that article. I cannot get K2 to do that.

Can you help? I would really appreciate that.

Greg.

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
12 years 8 months ago #60418 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
Hi argie,

Your menu item is Category1 and it will list all the sub-category eg: SubCategory1, SubCategory2 and etc. When you click the SubCategory1 folder it will list all the items in it. To control the view, you need to configure the parameters in the SubCategory1->Item view option in category listing. I believe you're still setting options in Category1. You need to configure the SubCategory.

K2 Rocks \m/