Keyword

K2 item image media management for client

• Odin Mayland
  • Odin Mayland's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
12 years 8 months ago #61244 by Odin Mayland
K2 item image media management for client was created by Odin Mayland
As the designer I can use the k2 item image tab just fine.

My concern is that when I finish my largest k2 project to date, the client will have a hard time managing the images.

For example, I have a k2item with an image of a "stock business card design". That image now is stored as /media/k2/items/src/e0a70f72bdae9885bfc32d7cd19a26a1.jpg

This site is for a vertical-market printing company. That image is used on 40 pages across the site. They will want to update that "stock business card design" with a new image as the market changes. Ideally, it would be nice to show the client how to upload "stock-business-card-design.jpg" in one place so that the other 40 pages will then get updated. I think it would be to cumbersome to tell the client to open 343 k2 items and re-upload OR open the images in the /src folder until you find the stock business card design that was renamed "e0a70f72bdae9885bfc32d7cd19a26a1.jpg", copy the name.jpg, replace the stock-business-card-design.jpg with the e0a70f72bdae9885bfc32d7cd19a26a1.jpg and then FTP it into /src. The reason it would be too cumbersome is because at this point they want 342 images that need to updated by the client as the market changes quite frequently.

This k2 image system seems counterintuitive to a CMS that is usable by a lamen client.

1. Is there a way to resolve my issue?

2. I like the new k2 Media Manager but it is not used to store the k2 images after they are uploaded to the k2item image tab. I was thinking that the client would have an easier time just replacing the "stock-business-card-design.jpg" with a new one in the media browser and then refreshing the website to see the new images replaced in the 343 places. But k2 stored the uploaded images, that I chose using the "Browse Server..." option in the k2 image tab, back into the /media/k2/items/src/ So what is the point of it the media manager?

I know that K2 makes cached image sizes of the uploaded image and puts them into media/k2/items/cache but is there a way to have k2 check the public_html/images folder the the media manager uses and create new files on demand? That way the lamen client can use the more efficient Media Manager to "manage" all the site's "media". :-)

If anyone has a workaround, solution, better method, etc to avoid telling the client that for the rest of the site's life you will have to go in and re-upload the 342 images (+ more as the biz grows) every time there is a image edit..... please reply.

Thanks
Jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #61245 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Re: K2 item image media management for client
I remember some posts in the old forum that discussed this. As best as i can remember -
When you add an item image k2 puts it in source directory with a new name and then creates the various sizes in the images directory. I "think" the generation is done when you add/change/ or delete an item image to the item. (i wonder if its as simple as changing that one item)
Again, if i remember correctly someone was hacking the core to change the way all this happens to solve a problem similar to the one you pose.
Mabee someone else will send their thoughts

• Odin Mayland
  • Odin Mayland's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
12 years 8 months ago #61246 by Odin Mayland
Replied by Odin Mayland on topic Re: K2 item image media management for client
I'm curious how you and others deal with low tech clients that want to update their large sites regularly.

Its a tough call for me because I like K2 for the integrated image/video/tags/popups but with Joomla 2.5 around the corner and I'm thinking that for the client all j2.5 is missing is the taggins system.

I' at the beginning of building this large site, so I could change gears and not use K2, but I sold the client on the tagging....