Keyword

Display certain amount of character for subcat

• Baptiste Guenais
  • Baptiste Guenais's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 8 months ago #61476 by Baptiste Guenais
Display certain amount of character for subcat was created by Baptiste Guenais
Hi everyone.

I have a very simple issue that I cannot solve, being a php newb and all. I'm putting together a website for an art gallery (belonging to the company I'm working for). For the specifications, here's the page : aliendog.net/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&layout=category&task=category&id=1&Itemid=487&

I'm using joomla 1.5 and the php version is 5.2.17 and i'm working with k2 component. So, what I want to do is to truncate the description of all my subcategories (the one displaying the Artists by name), to a certain amount of characters (if possible, not in the middle of a word).

I've been looking all day for a command to add in my main "category.php" file, but without any success. I found the block displaying the description, but couldn't figure out how or what to add to that block so it would only display a certain amount of characters (let say : 200). As I said, I'm a php neewb and "web designing" is not at all my main field of expertise. Here is what it looks like in my file :

<?php if($this->params->get('catDescription')): ?>
<!-- Category description -->
<p><?php echo $this->category->description; ?></p>
<?php endif; ?>

If anyone could help me with what command I need to add to this block it would be really great.

P.S : English is not my first langage so please be indulgent ;).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.