Keyword

How to structure my blog categories?

• kristofferrom
  • kristofferrom's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #62032 by kristofferrom
How to structure my blog categories? was created by kristofferrom
Hi everyone

I'm developing a site for a record label and intend to use K2 to power the blog parts of the site.

There's two main blogs:
  • Main blog
  • Shop blog

And then there's sub-blogs for each artist. I'd like to be able to extract artist-specific posts on artist-pages. And since the shop also deals artists signed elsewhere and other labels I also need to extract label and artist-specific blog bogs for their pages.

The shop blog should NOT appear on the site blog.

Should I create 2 categories for the two main blogs and subcategories for each artist and label? The problem with this apprach could be that I'd end up with multiple subcategories with the same names (but with different parent categories), which can be confusing...

Any better ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #62033 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Re: How to structure my blog categories?
You can use tags (I would actually suggest that). A tag would represent an artist. That way you could for example make a blog post for an event with 2 or more artists of the label. So this post would (naturally) belong to all mentioned artists as well.

Then you can create direct menu links to each (artist) tag so you can also create sub menus with references to those artists as well.

There are many ways to do what you want, that's just one.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• kristofferrom
More
12 years 8 months ago #62034 by kristofferrom
Replied by kristofferrom on topic Re: How to structure my blog categories?
Thanks. That sounds like a nice and simple approach.

Do you have suggestion on how I get the URLs I want for the blogs and tags. I'd like it to be as straightforward as possible, like this:

domain.com/blog
domain.com/blog/artist-name

and the shop blog:

domain.com/shop/blog

• kristofferrom
More
12 years 8 months ago #62035 by kristofferrom
hmmm... when I make a K2 Content component I cannot choose to display tags, only categories. Does that mean that I should choose categories in order to be able to use module to display the blogs?

More
12 years 8 months ago #62036 by Adam L
Replied by Adam L on topic Re: How to structure my blog categories?
Are you looking for a way to return only the K2 items with a specific tag? One way to do this is with a Joomla menu -- maybe this would help:

In Joomla Menu Manager:
1. Create new menu item
2. Select "Menu Item Type" = K2 Tag (select "Tag" under the K2 category)
3. In "Required Settings" for menu item, select an existing K2 Tag // limit of only one tag per menu item

Do you instead mean that when you view a category, you do not see the tags for the items?

If so:
* Make sure that the items have tags (if no tags, a template may not display the tag section)
* Make sure tags are enabled in K2 category (go to K2 -> Categories -> select category -> Item View options in category view -> Tags = Show)

I'm still playing around with K2 myself -- I'm sorry if that doesn't address what you are seeking!

More
12 years 8 months ago #62037 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Re: How to structure my blog categories?

Kristoffer rom wrote: Thanks. That sounds like a nice and simple approach.

Do you have suggestion on how I get the URLs I want for the blogs and tags. I'd like it to be as straightforward as possible, like this:

domain.com/blog
domain.com/blog/artist-name

and the shop blog:

domain.com/shop/blog

Say "blog" is a K2 category and that artists are actually "tags" in K2. In that case, you do the following:
- Create the K2 category "Blog" (in K2).
- Add some items (blog posts) in there. Make sure you TAG your items with artist names.
- Now create a "menu item" in the Joomla menu manager. This menu item will point to the K2 category called "Blog". Enter "blog" as the "menu alias".
- Add sub-menu items to the above menu item. These sub-menu items will be links to K2 tags. More specifically to the artist tags. Make sure the "menu alias" for each artist (aka K2 tag) has the URL format you want, e.g. "smashing-pumpkins"

Now visit your site's frontend. You will have menus pointing to your blog and submenus that point to artists (essentially, to tags). Your URLs will now be what you want ;)

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• kristofferrom
More
12 years 8 months ago #62038 by kristofferrom
Awesome! THANKS for the help!

Are you looking for a way to return only the K2 items with a specific tag?

Yes B)

The only problem I have with the solution is all the menu items. I don't want a menu item for each blog area, what I want is to incorporate a blog module on pages with other modules.

More
12 years 8 months ago #62039 by Adam L
Replied by Adam L on topic Re: How to structure my blog categories?
If each artist is a tag, you may want to investigate the built-in K2 Tag Cloud module... load this module on the pages you want, and it will show all of the available tags (with links to "view" those tags... aka the blogs).

In Joomla Module Manager:
1. Create new module, type = K2 Tools
2. Enter position, pages, title, status, etc.
3. In Basic Options, "Select module functionality" = Tag Cloud
4. In Tag Cloud Settings, set Min font size and Max font size both equal to 100%, and select the category for your artists

See if that might get you something that you're looking for.

I saw other forum posts last night about modifying this K2 Tools module to further change the display of the tag cloud (e.g. have each tag on its own line, so you'd have each artist individually), but I haven't had a chance to try that myself.

• kristofferrom
More
12 years 8 months ago #62040 by kristofferrom
Thx, but a tag cloud isn't what I'm looking for either. Perhaps I'm unclear about what I'm looking for so let me give you an example.

4AD actually does axactly what I want to do. There's a main blog (news feed) on the front page plus various other modules. If you click on one of the artist pages you're taken to that artist's page.
You'll see that the main blog has been filtered to display only posts related to that artists.

If I assign a menu-item to a k2 tag I'll loose the option to display other modules such as media-players etc., right?

I'm really keen on keeping the design as clear as possible and I'm pretty sure a tag cloud is too blog-like for this type of site.

I'm totally new to joomla and K2 so there might be something really basic about the structure of joomla sites that I'm missing... ;)

• kristofferrom
More
12 years 7 months ago #62041 by kristofferrom
i'll use k2 for more than the blog. Is it possible to show tagged posts from the blog cat only ? (since I'd tag other content types/categories using the same tags)