Keyword

Back to a long load again on virgin articles 21s

• bunglehaze
  • bunglehaze's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 8 months ago #62166 by bunglehaze
Back in 2.4 I reported a really long lag between clicking on an article title and a page loading up from an empty cache, Fotis looked into this personally and found there was actually something causing it (after much badgering I must add and being told it was my settings) and it was promptly fixed in an SVN shortly after - never had the problem again and guest users loading a page had a fast loading time.

Jog on a few months and a couple of Joomla versions and the problem has returned, currently I am using J2.5 with K2 2.5.4 and so I am bang up to date, since I upgraded to J2.5 the lag is back, 15 - 20+ seconds for any page that has not previously been cached on my end. This is for every article as far as I can see in every category.

Opening and saving categories and items in the backend is equally painfully slow, taking a similar time rather than the 4-5 seconds I am used to. Something very odd happening.

The site is at :http://bikechatter.net if you want to check it out for yourself, all help is appreciated as really the site is back to being useless for encouraging users to browse.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bunglehaze
More
12 years 8 months ago #62167 by bunglehaze
To give a little info too, I ran a webpagetest to check where things are loading:

www.webpagetest.org/result/120202_BP_33AGW/1/details/

TTFB is upwards of 7 seconds in this example and start render over 10 seconds, as a comparison the non K2 pages of my site are VERY different.

www.webpagetest.org/result/120202_HD_33AKB/1/details/

TTFB is only 0.544 seconds, start render 3.4 seconds and total loading time 4.8 seconds

• bunglehaze
More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #62168 by bunglehaze
Do Fotis/ Lefteris or any of the devs come by here any more? The forum looks pretty much unanswered for the most part compared to a year ago.

In any case, if someone in the know does read this., I have just done some testing with the caches turned off, System cache which is really useful for me does add load time for each article of around 2 seconds to the base loading time with all caches off of 4.5 seconds (ona couple of articles averaged)

If I then add the Joomla cache on either conservative or progressive the speed really takes a huge hit, only for K2 and only on first loads.

Most of my traffic is derived from users clicking new articles so getting the load down to 4-6 seconds would be useful, because the old forum/community was deleted I cannot find the thread that was created and the reason for the last bottleneck found which is a real shame.

More
12 years 8 months ago #62169 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Re: Back to a long load again on virgin articles 21s

because the old forum/community was deleted

unless community.getk2.org has gone down today it is still there arcived. Im not sure if all the posts from the various sections are there or not but you can still search it

• bunglehaze
More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #62170 by bunglehaze
Thanks William, I will try and dig it out. Interestingly I managed to speed up the load time considerably by removing the facebook/twitter etc links in each category. It appears that this is not being cached anywhere and is adding to a long load - the problem still partially exists though but rather than 20+ seconds it is halved.

Bottleneck thread was found here:

community.getk2.org/forum/topics/solved-still-seeing-massive for those wanting to take a look.

More
12 years 7 months ago #62171 by BBC
I have problems with slow loading in new Joomla 1.7-2.5. Tried all settings.

Can someone explain what they did in that link to old forum ?
It is acute bad description at that topic.

I mean it is solved, but nobody explain what they did.

• bunglehaze
More
12 years 7 months ago #62172 by bunglehaze
Back in 2.4.1. when I first reported the bottleneck I was told by a few of the devs that the issue was my configuration, jog on a month and having to harrass the devs directly to take a look and the issue was found within K2, I think it was to do with the tags being loaded multiple times on all queries (I may be wrong though). The thing is it was fixed back then and has been fine for ages.

I am feeling a little let down by K2 once again though, not the component itself as I have been an early adopter and have recommended it to many new users, the problem for me is this forum, the lack of any form of input from developers and how users are seemingly just left with no way to deal with bugs.

As an example, captcha on all users posts, then a wait before posting which makes it difficult for all but the most dedicated user to help others, I went through the forum the other day and saw something i could help with, I answered, I saw another and was told to wait, I got bored and moved back on to my job I was doing.

It is very well having a great component, but such a poor forum is a major drawback and offputting. At least give us a fighting chance of speaking to one of the devs about bugs and issues instead of essentially a single english forum that is seriously crippled.

I have put links to load times, given direct feedback and heard nothing useful in weeks - how does that look to other users?