Keyword

related articles by via tag output by extra fields

• Josh
  • Josh's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 7 months ago #62378 by Josh
Hi all,
Ok so I know this might be a bit tricky to follow but please be patient with me as I think other might be interested in this idea too.

My website has main "listings" which are obviously k2 items and all items related to the current items are displayed via the related items plugin at the bottom the item page. Items displayed here are not filtered by category rather it searches all categories for related items with any matching tags and displays it.

Now what i would like to achieve it this,

Each "listing" needs to have a news and events "module" and each of these modules should pull up all items (within a specified category) related to the current item, the thing is i would like to select the specific tag it pulls the related items from.

So in an ideal world i would have each "listing" with it's two "modules" inside the article.
One for news and one for events. Each "module" should then select the tag id or name from k2's extra fields and display only items with that tag and from within a specific category.

Now the tricky part, in order to tell each "module" which tag to use i though it might be possible to add 2 extra fields to k2 ie one for Events Tag Name and News Tag Name, so that for each article i create i can specify in the extra field which tag to use for each "modules" related items.

Is there a way I would output extra fields ie a tag id or name and insert that tag id or name into a "module" within the item view which then display relevant items filtered from specific categories? For each "module" the category id or name to filter tags by could just be hard coded into the "module" for now because those two categories wont change much but obviously this additional feature may allow for extra extendability later on.

I have managed to find a way to "print" extra fields values individually wherever i like on an item page but cant figure out how to use this data in conjunction with some kind of "mod" which can use those fields (which in my case would be specific tags)

For now all i am looking to do is create the two "modules", select in each article the tags id or name to uses and then send that id or name to the module to pull display matching items filtered within a specific category.

I know this is doable using existing modules however then I would have to create real modules for each article and load then via loadposition or similar but this would result in way to many modules so i am looking for a way to "build" this function on the page on the fly.

Anybody got any advice or pointers or had a similar problem ? Any assistance would be much appreciated.
This is the last real hurdle to overcome to make this new project of ours really work powerfully.

Thanks for any input in advance!
Josh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #62379 by Julie
Can you tell me how you were able to print the extra fields individually? I need to do that too on my item page.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.