Keyword

Layout issues with categories and menu items

• Zaki Wasik
  • Zaki Wasik's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 6 months ago #63729 by Zaki Wasik
K2 has really helped me a lot with getting things done in Joomla, but there is one thing which really puzzles me.

Say, I make a menu item linking to a category ("fish" for instance). Then I insert modules to customize the page for my need. If then I later on decide to have another page where there is a category-chooser (K2 tools) and that I press on the category "fish", I will be directed to my custom "fish"-page - like if I had pressed the menu item. Problem is that I do not want that! I want all pages that can be chosen from the category chooser to be shown in the same layout as the page in which the category chooser is located.

Basically the default behaviour sets up custom pages for specific categories when you link to a category from a menu item. I would like the menu link to set up a page which can be customized independently from the category, while showing all the items within the category.

Why do I need this?

I am currently working on a project where I have a number of pages - instance "students" - which starts out with an introduction telling the story about why the organization likes students so much and then it pulls in news relevant to students. But if you go to the news-section of the site and filter all news categorized as "student news" I do not want to be forwarded to the "students"-page. I just want an overview of news in the category "students".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.