Keyword

Restrict content editing by user group

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #63775 by Joff
Hi,

I have a J1.5 site where I need to restrict content editing. In K2 I have a number of categories, such as:
- News
- Reviews
- Staff Profiles

I need to be able to assign editors so they can only edit specific categories, e.g. News Admin can only edit News, etc.

In K2 I have created User Groups as per News Admin, Review Admin, Staff Admin and set permissions only for the corresponding category. I have then assigned the users to their own User Group.

When I test this by logging in as a user however, they can still Create / Read / Update / Delete every single K2 Item. Their access is not locked to any category!

I have also tried to use NoixACL in case this would provide the missing functionality, but support for that component is all but non-existent.

Can anyone help please?

I am using Joomla 1.5.25, K2 2.5.5

Thanks,
Joff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #63776 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Re: Restrict content editing by user group
This should work for you. Check the user group settings and assign each user group to a k2 category at the bottom

More
12 years 6 months ago #63777 by Joff
Thanks William, I'll re-check my settings.

Once I've assigned a user to a user group, and set the permissions for that user group, what should I be seeing when I log in as the restricted user?

Should I be able to click into each K2 Item from the back-end in order to edit it? Or would I normally get a "You don't have permissions"-type of error?

More
12 years 6 months ago #63778 by Joff
I have tried it again but have had no success, can you confirm I am doing this correctly?

Joomla > User Manager > New
User name: "restricted_user"
Group: Public Back-end > Manager

K2 > User Groups > New
Group name: "restricted"
Assign permissions: All set to "none"
Assign group permissions to categories: "All"

K2 > Users
Edit user "restricted_user"
Assign K2 user group: "restricted"

Now if I log into Joomla as "restricted_user", I can view all K2 items, edit all K2 items, etc yet I need to be able to lock the user down to specific categories/permissions.

More
12 years 6 months ago #63779 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Re: Restrict content editing by user group
I think the Joomla group should be registared, the backend manager access changes things
It seems to work on my test front end with
joomla user = registared
K2 usergroup set to allow
k2 user set to k2 usergroup

More
12 years 6 months ago #63780 by Joff
Does this mean the restriction will not work for backend access user groups? If not, this is a shame as it's this functionality I need.

Maybe I will be better off looking into using Juga? If so, would you be aware of any issues with using Juga + K2?

Thanks for your help so far.

More
12 years 3 months ago #63781 by deviantro
Replied by deviantro on topic Re: Restrict content editing by user group
I need this function too.. restrict some user to edit item another user. WITH back-end Acces

Can I achieve this?

More
12 years 3 months ago #63782 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Re: Restrict content editing by user group
@deviantro

You can achieve this only under Joomla! 2.5 by setting the appropriate permissions under K2 paramaters.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
11 years 6 months ago #63783 by M.
@Lefteris Kavadas

Hi, I have the same problem.
I need to restrict permission for a user (blogger) or group (bloggers) to a specific category of articles.
When a blogger tries to insert an article, he has all category listed so he can publish the article anywhere.
I need that a blogger could only insert (and not publish) an article only in a specific category, is it possible?
Can you explain how?
Thanks in advance,
Manuel