MySQL field in K2?

• Sebastian
  • Sebastian's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 6 months ago #63786 by Sebastian
MySQL field in K2? was created by Sebastian
Hello,

Brand new potential user here :-)

I have been using CB for some time, but I find their code messy and limited, so I'm in the hunt for something better. So far, Fabrik and K2 have my attention, but I was wondering if K2 can provide the same custom fields as CB for the registration and the profiles.
More specifically, if K2 can grab an existing column from the DB and displays it o the profile.
Also, does it allow for any code to be entered: my website is about an FB game clan, so I use the unique FBID to get the link to each FB profile, including the FB application / game profile.

Is that possible with plug in / add ons??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #63787 by Aaron
Replied by Aaron on topic Re: MySQL field in K2?
Sebastian,
I have been using K2 now for almost two months (I think).. still developing actually.. I have not seen anything to allow custom registration fields in K2.. I was actually thinking of using Jomsocial and over-riding the K2 user experience all together but if you happen upon a solution, I would love to be notified..
Thanks

Aaron :)

• Sebastian
More
12 years 6 months ago #63788 by Sebastian
Replied by Sebastian on topic Re: MySQL field in K2?
Thanks Aaron.

Yes, Joomsocial looks great, but it's way too expensive for my small community site (that I created and maintain for free ;-))
I don't mind giving back through donation when I really enjoy something, but unless Joomsocial comes up with other pricing plans, I probably won't ever use it.

Fabrik does what you may be looking for, not easy at first, but they have a pretty good support via their forums. I managed to do a few things with it, but to be honest, a full on CCK is too much for me.

K2 looks great, and I would love to use it if it had the ability to add customs fields in the registration, and use a MySQL field such as the one for CB ( here )

More
12 years 6 months ago #63789 by Aaron
Replied by Aaron on topic Re: MySQL field in K2?
I looked at Fabrik as well. While it seems to offer the power I was looking for, it seems too difficult to even get started plus I was also looking for a component that can relatively keep up with Joomla's quick upgrade path.

Have you checked out community builder? That might work for you as well.. not sure if they have a free version though....

Aaron :)

• Sebastian
More
12 years 6 months ago #63790 by Sebastian
Replied by Sebastian on topic Re: MySQL field in K2?
Community Builder (CB) is what I used at the moment. But the UI and the templating are messy, and I don't need half what it offers.
I'm looking at something that integrates better with the Joomla core:
- custom fields in the registration
- easy way to template the profile page and select which fields are displayed
-

Might just create my own plugin (forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=615&t=582603&p=2769368#p2769368) but I'm no programmer... Strange that such a popular request hasn't been filled with a non commercial add on apart from CB