Keyword

Template for use in items

• Neil Boddie
  • Neil Boddie's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 6 months ago #63935 by Neil Boddie
Template for use in items was created by Neil Boddie
Is there away to have an item template to add to a category

I am building a site with multiple categories but inside each category there could be as much as 20-30 items. I intend to list the items with a title and a read more link to expand the item description.
All the items will have the same structure listing information (category set to catalogue) and would be so much easier to set up with a template where all I need is to fill in the blanks.

Is there a method to set up and use a template for the item only.

I am not looking for a site template or a category template just an item template.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #63936 by Aaron
Replied by Aaron on topic Re: Template for use in items
What you are trying to do is K2 templating. If you only want to adjust the item, you would simply duplicate the default template and only adjust item.php. You would then assign the template to the appropriate category.

Aaron :)

• Neil Boddie
More
12 years 6 months ago #63937 by Neil Boddie
Replied by Neil Boddie on topic Re: Template for use in items
Cheers Aaron, can you point me in the direction to find out all about this, am quite new to k2 so am learning on the fly.

• Neil Boddie
More
12 years 6 months ago #63938 by Neil Boddie
had a quick look at this k2 tut getk2.org/documentation/tutorials/item/174-templating-with-k2-and-the-concepts-of-sub-templates, and it seems to me to be ok for setting parameters within the category group.
What I was looking for was some means of eg; a sheet of paper with a form like set up, and all I had to do was fill in the blanks.

Imagine a spreadsheet with pre-set fields and all I had to do was cut and paste into an item, or even a word document set up with blocks of text/images and cut and paste into the item and hey presto all would be positioned in exactly the correct place.

If I am in cloud cuckoo land just let me down gently :lol:

• Neil Boddie
More
12 years 6 months ago #63939 by Neil Boddie
managed to get the job done by using the extra fields selection in K2, found this solution in a tutorial by www.ostraining.com/blog/joomla/k2/. Thanks Guys.
Coming to the conclusion that the k2 operating manual that is'nt can be found in a very fragmented way by clever Google searches.

Perhaps the K2 guys could get someone to bring all this together under one wiki or at the very least have links to relevant sections, just my tuppence worth