Keyword

Best Practices for custom K2 templates and code

• Preston
  • Preston's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 6 months ago #64025 by Preston
Hello,

I'm new to Joomla and K2 and would like the insight of experienced K2 folks. I've created a custom K2 template, which is stored in:

[mySite]/templates/rt_modulus_j16/html/com_k2/[myTemplate]

I've made a number of changes to the PHP code in the template files. I've also created a PHP class that's used by this template. Ideally I'd like to make this custom class available site-wide (i.e. not just tied to this template).

One specific question I have is where should I place this custom PHP class, and what do I need to do to make it generally available. I've read some things about auto-loading of classes, but I've not found a good explanation of this yet, and am not sure this is the proper approach.

My broader concern is I want to make my customizations in a way that will minimize the impact of any future updates to Joomla and/or K2. What suggestions do you have with regard to this?

Thanks,
Preston

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #64026 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Re: Best Practices for custom K2 templates and code
if you put your code anywhere but html/com_k2/templates/youroverride it will get whacked by both k2 and template upgrades...be carefull about template upgrades if they already have a com_k2 directory in them as well......backup is the only sure way

• Preston
  • Preston's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 6 months ago #64027 by Preston
Thanks William

More
12 years 6 months ago #64028 by Aaron
I agree with William, but I found that during development, it is easier to keep the K2 templates in the components/com_k2/templates folder.
Once you finish development and have settled on a template, then you should move the template to html/com_k2/templates/youroverride as William recommends.

The other thing I have found is that it is better to keep the code as simple as possible. Trying to add in a lot of special code will increase the risk that you will have to do work if there is an update.

Aaron :)