Keyword

Template Overides - Is this normal

• Peter Grube
  • Peter Grube's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
More
12 years 5 months ago #64960 by Peter Grube
Template Overides - Is this normal was created by Peter Grube
Hi everyone, I am new to K2 and I am trying to use the Template Overides correctly. I have set up my joomla 2.5 site as follows. I have 3 Joomla Templates.

1/ Single Column Layout = HOME PAGE
2/ Single Column + 1 Sidebar (Default Template}
3/ Single Column + 2 Sidebars (Catalogue)

Now to use Template overides at the moment (To be recognized) for Catalogue, I have to create the overide folders in in both my Default Template and in the Catalogue Template.

It doesn't seem right to me, so please can someone confirm if this is correct, I apologize I know it sounds confusing.
Thx in advance Pete.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #64961 by Neil Boddie
Replied by Neil Boddie on topic Re: Template Overides - Is this normal
template overrides are supposed to be easy, have a look at what I have done it might help

getk2.org/community/New-to-K2-Ask-here-first!/10686-Sub-Template-set-up

I have watched umpteen videos, asked umpteen questions read umpteen tutorials and NOT one of them gives the definitive answer, for something that Fotis (feel like I know him personally, watched him so many times) describes as being a great benefit to K2, all I can say is MAKE AN ABSOLUTE IN DEPTH COVERS ALL TUTORIAL AND I MIGHT BELIEVE HIMhindop

• Peter Grube
  • Elite Member
More
12 years 5 months ago #64962 by Peter Grube
Replied by Peter Grube on topic Re: Template Overides - Is this normal
Hi Neil, thx for your reply.

template overrides are supposed to be easy, have a look at what I have done it might help

getk2.org/community/New-to-K2-Ask-here-first!/10686-Sub-Template-set-up

I actually used this to get as far as I have so thx, my question was to have multiple K2 overide templates recognized eg Blog , Catalogue. do overide files need to be placed in both your Sites Default Template as well as in the Template I intend to use for a specific part of my site {I use 3 Different Site Templates) , for example if I want to make a K2 Overide Template for my Catalogue Section I have to put Overide Files in both my Sites Default Template as well as the Site Template that I use for my Catalogue section .

I am basically trying to determine that this is the correct method.

More
12 years 5 months ago #64963 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Re: Template Overides - Is this normal
@peter, try putting all your overrides in the default template html subdirectory and see if that works. its been a while since i did it but i think when you use more than one template on the same site, the overrides must be located in the defaults html directory. test this by renaming the overrides in the non default templates directpories.
im sure that only one override is being used.

• Peter Grube
  • Elite Member
More
12 years 5 months ago #64964 by Peter Grube
Replied by Peter Grube on topic Re: Template Overides - Is this normal
Thx William, I tried your suggestion and I think your correct, but I forgot to mention I am also using the CSS4K2 plugin and it only seems to work if it's in the Active Templates Folder. I can overide k2.css file using the relevant template.css file, thereby relieving the need to use CSS4K2, so I was thinking maybe that's a lot simpler and easier way to go. I would appreciate your opinion.