Keyword

What K2 really needs ....

• Peter Grube
  • Peter Grube's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
More
12 years 5 months ago #65263 by Peter Grube
What K2 really needs .... was created by Peter Grube
Hi everyone I am a newbie with K2 only 2 weeks, but I have come to the conclusion that although it's an excellent component. Most new users spend more time searching google or posting on this forum trying to find out relevant information, and either never realize K2'sfull capacity or give up because of the lack of good information out there.

The most stupid thing I find is that with this forum the already the medium which they could address this problem. But I have noticed generally only 1 or 2 members out there answer and try and help people, I have made an effort to try and help anyone I can, but I know my knowledge of K2 is limited but at least I try.

I also noticed in a recent post that a user had a question - k2 with sigplus conflict ?, the reply get SIGPro, which really bought home the mentality that's holding K2 back. I understand that K2 is free and that Joomaworks makes money my selling extensions and that's fine, (I bought SigPro) but it making so users can't use a rival product is a bit self defeating IMOH. It would be much better to allow and improve SigPro because the vast majority of users would use SigPro anyway because of it's integration into K2.

The major drawback with SigPro is that I would like frontend users to be able to (Create / Edit) Captions, either by extending the Gallery Interface (Preferred method) or allowing front end users to be able to access media manager. I looked on the Joomlaworks forum and see Topics that are over 2 yrs old. And comments from their Admin team that the issue would be addressed with next release. Yeh Right. But I digress, my main point is that the mentality is to spend time and effort to make K2 not work with a rival component rather than simply improving your product . Have you not heard of the phrase "Build a better mousetrap and they will come".

Any these are my Suggestion / Plea to Joomlaworks
1/ Make a Tips & Tricks Category on this forum, so we can a definitive User Knowledge Base. Covering all the main problems new & existing users come across eg. Setting Up K2, Making your first Category, Making your first Item, What all the different parameters are for, Using Extra Field, Creating K2 template Overides Ect. Referring Users to look for answers on Google or websites is a bit stupid.

2/ I would offer users a small incentive to contribute detailed tutorials, maybe give away an extension every week to best contribution.

3/ I would also make a Forum Category - New Feature Requests, Where users can suggest features that might be included in new K2 releases.

Anyway thats my 2 cents worth, come on fellow K2ites have your say and let's get the ball rolling.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #65264 by Dot Johnstone
Replied by Dot Johnstone on topic Re: What K2 really needs ....
Ditto! Fellow newbie, and am thinking it's easier to give up.

Ultimately, no tutorials, guidelines, tips and tricks leads to confusion - but there's no real "context" around how this works.

I'll keep popping back and see if there's more though.

More
12 years 4 months ago #65265 by alyona
Replied by alyona on topic Re: What K2 really needs ....
Absolutely agree!!