Keyword

How to remove diacritical marks from url- user pro

• Dušan Beláň
  • Dušan Beláň's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 5 months ago #65712 by Dušan Beláň
Hi there. I am googling today and trying to find out how to remove diacritical marks from url in Joomla! users urls. For example, my profile:
should be: /itemlist/user/42-dusan-belan ..but in url there is: /itemlist/user/42-dušan-beláň ..and finally when I paste it, it looks like: /itemlist/user/42-du%C5%A1an-bel%C3%A1%C5%88
Is there any way to change it? Thank you very much in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• etkritikonspoudon
More
12 years 5 months ago #65713 by etkritikonspoudon
Replied by etkritikonspoudon on topic Re: How to remove diacritical marks from url- user pro
Hi,

In Global Settings in Joomla you have to disable unicode urls...
Then, supposing you have already installed a language file for your home language, you must set that as default for the backend...

If you ONLY disable unicode urls in Global Settings, then you will have numbers (creation date/time) in your urls....
If you ALSO install the language file for your site's language AND set it as default in the backend, then your urls will be transliterated into simple latin characters...

Not sure if this is doable if the language file doesn't contain any transliteration definitions...it should, but I don;t know if this is valid for all language files...

Alternatively, you can just type the Alias you want yourself...

Now, regarding the way the Unicode Urls are copied, this is up to the browser you are using....with Opera and IE9, I get the unicode characters copied properly...with Chrome and Firefox these characters are converted into this series of characters which is the way the browser reads it...

If you are using these browsers, one way to avoid this conversion is to NOT copy the "www." part of the URL and just add it yourself when pasting/using the link/url...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.