Keyword

How to create drop-down menus based on K2 categori

More
12 years 4 months ago #66320 by Rina
Hello,

I am new to Joomla and k2 but have had quite a good start and so far am very happy I selected Joomla+K2 for my web site.
One confusing thing for me is, however, the relation between the category hierarchy in k2 and the menu hierarchy of the site:
I have a set a category A with subcategory a1,a2,a3. I want to have in the main menu an menu item A that has a1,a2,a3 as drop down. When defining menu item A- should it be a k2-category item? if I try it like this, the the item A does not have a drop down (unless I explicitly define sub menu items in the menu) and displays all the items from a1,a2,a3 (as I selected subcategories). I tried different ways to get this to work but did not succeed.
I am sure there is a very simple way to make it work- and I am sure I am just missing something very basic.
Thanks for helping out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
12 years 4 months ago #66321 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
Replied by Kannan Naidu Venugopal on topic Re: How to create drop-down menus based on K2 categori
Hi Rina,

If Menu item A is set to Category, and if you want the dropdown to show the a1,a2,a3 subcategories, You need to create each menu for the sub-category and make the Parent Item to Menu A

Is this what you intend to do?

K2 Rocks \m/

More
12 years 4 months ago #66322 by Rina
Thanks,

I have done the following:
1) menu (category) A: selected only category A in "basic options"
2) menu (category a1, se A as parent, selected category "a1".

This behaves almost perfect. However, menu A- although it has a drop down - still is clickable. And when someone click A he gets all the articles in teh subcategories. How do I make menu A "not active" , so that only the drop down list is active?

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
12 years 4 months ago #66323 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
Replied by Kannan Naidu Venugopal on topic Re: How to create drop-down menus based on K2 categori
You can make the menu A's type as System Links >> Text Separator

K2 Rocks \m/

More
12 years 4 months ago #66324 by Rina
Yes, this works!

It helped understand a bit better (I think) the separation between scope of Joomla! and the scope of k2.

Thanks for helping out.

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
12 years 4 months ago #66325 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
You're welcome :D

K2 Rocks \m/