Keyword

Templates and K2 templates

More
12 years 4 months ago #66372 by Rina
Templates and K2 templates was created by Rina
Hi,

As mentioned already in previous post I am new to Joomla. I have a conceptual question about templates: I understand there are Joomla! templates and there are K2 templates. I think that this is what their role/scope is, and will appreciate receiving feedback of weather those statements are correct:

1. A Joomla! template is required for any website. There are some default templates provided and one can get other templates from different providers(free or commercial). There is nothing like a site without a Joomla! template.
2. K2 templates, are the same as K2 sub-templates and they control the layout of specific items/articles. There is a default set of sub-templates and one can create customized sets as he wishes. I did not see that there are sub-templates to get on websites as you can with Joomla! templates. Is it because sub-templates are so easy to do or they very specific?

I can also see that there is inheritence going on in the way that articles are presented- titles styles of sub-templates can inherit from the main template.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
12 years 4 months ago #66373 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
Replied by Kannan Naidu Venugopal on topic Re: Templates and K2 templates
Hi Rina,

The way i understand is, you can easily override a K2 template, meaning you can control the layout of a category, it's items, modules and etc. You can control the layout easily with a template override or by setting the category item parameters.

When you install Joomla, it gives you a few template to choose and when you install K2 it gives you a default template. You can choose to edit or customize the default K2 layout or css file or install 3rd party templates that overrides K2 displays to match their template theme.

Inherit are for category parameters only, meaning a few sub category can inherit the parameter settings from the category above it so that you do not have to set the parameters all over again.

K2 Rocks \m/

More
12 years 4 months ago #66374 by Rina
Replied by Rina on topic Re: Templates and K2 templates
Thanks for the clarification, it helped!

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
12 years 4 months ago #66375 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
Replied by Kannan Naidu Venugopal on topic Re: Templates and K2 templates
NP, glad i could help ..

K2 Rocks \m/