Keyword

Re: Featured items not showing up on home page

More
12 years 4 months ago #66768 by April
I am afraid I do not understand. What is a load position, and how come it does not show the featured articles on the front page. Frrrrusssttrrrraattttinnngggg. I have to make duplicate entries in the regular content article section for those to show up...over time this is confusing I don't know which area of content is pulling what.

Can you please tell me how to use the K2 content and not the default content. Why is the featured not showing up

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #66769 by Chess Dad
Replied by Chess Dad on topic Re: Featured items not showing up on home page
Featured articles do not work the same in K2 as it does in regular Joomla articles. There are several ways to avoid duplicating articles.

1. Create a K2 item and call it what ever you want. I used Home Page.
2. Create a menu item using K2 item and select the home page item created in #1.

Now,
1. you can write directly to the home page by editing the home page item,

2. you can create a "Custom Html" module. For position, give it any name you want. For example, say the module was going to be an article on roses. In the module title, give it a title such as North Carolina Roses. In the position box, type in ncroses (for NC Roses). There are many different types of modules. The Custom HTML will, among other things, allow you to create a psudo item. Here's what I mean by that. After you write your article about roses in the Custom Html module and save it. Go back to your homepage item. Lets say you want that article on NC Roses to appear after your third paragraph on the home page. You add that article by using loadposition in this manner {loadposition ncroses}.

You can use just about any module in the same manner. For example. I have a chess viewer on my site. I used the Flexi Custom Code module to put the script in for the viewer and called the position chessviewer. I then used {loadposition chessviewer} on my home page item to display it.

3. You can also you the K2 content module to display items on your home page. In this case, you create a new K2 content module and select the category(ies) you want associated with that module. I created a K2 category called featured and selected that category in the K2 content module. On my homepage I added {loadposition featured}. Any K2 item I save in that K2 category will now be displayed on my home page. You can use the "order" feature to arrange the order the items are displayed.

You may need to experiment with this a little. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages. Also, take a look at my recent post about the K2 content module (fonts are cramped) as you may run into the same problem I did and that post will clear up that problem should you encounter it. Cramped Fonts

Hope this alleviates a little of you frustrations. I had the same frustrations when I first started using K2. I wanted to go back to using Joomla articles but realized how limiting that was. K2 is a great component. It does take a little getting used to.

BTW, if you select yes to featured in your item, all that does is show the little red tab across the top of the item. It does nothing else in K2.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.