Keyword

RSS Feed not working

More
11 years 10 months ago #66849 by Superkoala
Replied by Superkoala on topic Re: RSS Feed not working
i did not find a free and good rss feed syndicator.
But the info ?format=feed was perfect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #66850 by Sandeep Iyengar
Replied by Sandeep Iyengar on topic Re: RSS Feed not working
Even i am experiencing the same problem

I am using the latest ver of k2 with sh404 sef. Rss feed is not working. I tried changing that category.php file but even that doesn't worked please help.

This is my site

india.jobs4mind.com/

Rss Feed : india.jobs4mind.com/feed.html?format=feed

I would like to burnthe feed via feedburner but i am getting error.

More
11 years 10 months ago #66851 by Superkoala
Replied by Superkoala on topic Re: RSS Feed not working
www.alexanderriegler.at/mein-blog.html?format=feed is my feed

so you should write

http://india.jobs4mind.com?format=feed and it will work

i hope so

More
11 years 10 months ago #66852 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Re: RSS Feed not working
@Sandeep Iyengar

You need to check your feed settings under K2 parameters.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• thongtran
  • CEO at foobla.com
More
11 years 10 months ago #66853 by thongtran
Replied by thongtran on topic Re: RSS Feed not working
In order to make URL prefix with .rss or .xml, you need to modify yourself .htaccess file.
This post below is for obRSS extension, but it is pretty the same to do with K2 extension:
foobla.com/support/kb/obrss/making-obrss-feed-url-prefix-with-rss-xml-or-json.html

More
11 years 9 months ago #66854 by Rishie Rish
Replied by Rishie Rish on topic Re: RSS Feed not working
Hi Lefteris,

Im having the same issue. Our rss feeds are not getting properly formatted. Im using K2 v2.5.7.
this is the rss url : www.crescentrating.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&format=feed&type=rss

Thanks

More
11 years 7 months ago #66855 by Jukka
Replied by Jukka on topic Re: RSS Feed not working
I had the same issue in Joomla 1.5, but I don't actually use K2. The issue was that a completely unrelated system plugin (a Facebook login plugin) was being initialized in onAfterInitialize() -event callback, and that caused the Joomla JDocumentRenderer to be loaded before $mainframe->route() in index.php. That caused the JDocumentRenderer to assume html format, since the JRouter had not yet had the chance to change the Request variable 'format' to 'feed'.

My solution was to move that plugin's initialization to after the route event, but in this instance I suggest you go to Administrator backend and disable System plugins one by one until feeds start working without the ?format=feed hack.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #66856 by danny leary
Replied by danny leary on topic Re: RSS Feed not working
Hey Guys,

Just thought i'd post a workaround until k2 can fix the rss validation issues.

My problem arose when i wanted to use mailchimp to create an RSS to email campaign where new articles seen in an rss feed will trigger an auto email sent to subscribers. An awesome feature. Only JNEWS pro offers a smartnewsletter claiming to do this with k2; although there is a bug they are addressing at this time that is slotted to be fixed. However, as i do like Mailchimp and think it is superior, i decided to use their awesome RSS to email service.

My issue arose when i submitted the K2 rss feed url from the icon. I could view the data in chrome and it seemed to work ok. However, Mailchimp rejected the rss url as not valid. The only other extension that claims to create a clean rss for k2 and do a good job cost about 60 bucks including an optional k2 plugin. I didnt have the dough :)

So i modified for my needs a php rss generator script that created a validated rss and pulls k2 items so far so good. I couldn't add pictures yet, but maybem someone can mod the sql query to include images :) also, it pulls k2 items from all categories, but i think someone could mod the sql query to just pull from a certain category.

Here is the source of the files and tutorial that helped
phpfeedwriter.webmasterhub.net/2012/01/db-feed-sample-php-explained-sample-feed-database-integration-php-script/

It seems to work great and once i submitted it to mailchimp it accepted it without issue and works great.

In a nutshell, here's what you do. take these source files, upload them to a directory you create in your joomla site (like 'k2feed' or something you want )
Modify the database and other settings in the config file and upload it. It should work ok when you visit the sample php file.

Thanks,
Danny
Attachments:

More
11 years 7 months ago #66857 by danny leary
Replied by danny leary on topic Re: RSS Feed not working
Here is an added point from some more use :)

The above method does work for a feed if needed. The only issue i found with the above script is that the date is not getting added correctly or changed to the correct pubDate rss format from the sql table. A big deal for mailchimps rss to email feature.

However after hours of trying to impplement a custom solution, i regressed back to seeing if i could fix the issue i was having with the k2 rss feature. In firefox i would get a subscription option but the page was empty. in chrome, thankfully it atleast parsed the text and i could see that items were indeed getting put into the xml, so what was going on. Mailchimp said that the feed was invalid.

so i went to see if Google feedburner could generate a feed from the blog's url. It of course found the k2 rss feed url path in the header. However, it did pass me an error "The entity name must immediately follow the '&' in the entity reference." on line ten of my xml which the feed validator from feedvalidator.org showed was the description; which in k2 is taken from a metatag field. From an internet search it seems that this error is due to the '&' not being parsed correctly in my metatag description used to generate the rss' description. I found the metatag from whence the description came, changed '&' to 'and' and walla! The error went away, the feed validated, and mailchimp took it and it has the date correctly formatted which should trigger the auto email!

I sure the problems with xml and k2 that some have experienced might be due to various issues. But in my case with the latest k2 and joomla (2.5) the feed itself was good, just a bad character not getting dealt with well by the xml. Once this was fixed in the description, all was well. Which i am glad for. I learned much about rss, php, and xml when toying with all the tutorials, but there are just soooo many different ways of doing it and sadly, most of them just plain don't work :) at least without a lot of customization, trial and error.

Hopefully this helps some :)

More
11 years 7 months ago #66858 by Web Guy
Replied by Web Guy on topic Re: RSS Feed not working
Hi All, I have tried the OBRSS "fix" with no luck and the category hack, which I cannot see any difference with.

Firefox is fine, it asks if I wish to subscribe, IE displays the formatted feed page with an option to subscribe, chrome, nothing but raw xml.