Keyword

Category Listing Not Working

• Greg J
  • Greg J's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 3 months ago #66990 by Greg J
Category Listing Not Working was created by Greg J
Hello,

I maintain the Joomla-based website for an engineering services firm. Our website is located at www.artanderson.com .

Our website includes descriptions of current and completed projects. For a few years, I had been using the basic Joomla article system, and after reading about K2, I was excited about the possibilities for our website. The image gallery, associated image, and tagging system are just what I need.

I installed K2 and imported my Joomla content. I went through all of our project items and set them up for use in K2 (uploaded the associated image, tagged articles, etc.). Upon completion, I added a new menu item to list the K2 items in the "Completed Projects" category, but when one clicks the menu item on the front end, it lists the category, but says there are no articles in it.

Interestingly enough, I am able to create a K2 menu item that links to a single article, but the category listing does not work.

I have some suspicions as to why it is happening, but do not know how to address them, and was wondering if the community can help.

One of my theories is that my htaccess rewriting is causing problems. I keep Joomla in a separate folder at the root of my webhost, and use htaccess to redirect everything to that folder. My guess is that when K2 tries to call the category list, it is screwing up the path. I have seen many other posts that have had errors related to their use of Joomla in a subfolder.

I also use HostGator as my web hosting provider, and have seen other posters that have had challenges with this web host.

Finally, another theory has to do with errors in publishing the item. I have seen other threads where the backend reports that the item is published, but the frontend doesn't see it. Not sure if this is part of the issue.

To see some of what is going on, please visit the website at www.artanderson.com . I have created two links under the "Projects" menu to illustrate. "K2 Category Listing" is a K2 menu item that lists all K2 items under the "Completed Projects" category. "K2 Item Display" is a K2 menu item for a specific K2 content item (neglect the formatting...what's important is that it's showing the info).

I appreciate any help the community can provide.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Greg J
More
12 years 2 months ago #66991 by Greg J
Replied by Greg J on topic Re: Category Listing Not Working
I just wanted to bump this topic up. I see many have read it, but nobody has offered any ideas or approaches to solving it. Any advice???

More
12 years 2 months ago #66992 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Re: Category Listing Not Working
Just guessing w/o any access to the back end -
Since the category listing says (0) items open one of the items in the category and check several things:
Published status, access status, date fields, and author - you might even try changing or adding information in these fields and resaving an item
The import may have failed in one of these fields and left all the items not returning in the sql statement gathering the records.
If these changes cause an item to show up in the category listing you can probably run a phpmyadmin mysql command to affect a change on all the items at once

You will find a post here about problems with upgrading from one version to another and having to run a couple of sql commands to get things just right

More
12 years 2 months ago #66993 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Re: Category Listing Not Working
@Greg J

Please follow the recommendations of William White and let us know when you have any news on this.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Greg J
More
12 years 2 months ago #66994 by Greg J
I think the issue may have been solved, or at the very least, I found a work-around!

First, I attempted to modify item parameters as suggested, and this didn't change a thing.

Next, I decided to test a K2 category menu item for a category other than the ones I started with (current and completed projects). I created a "services" category, and moved one of my articles from "completed projects" to "services". The site was successful in displaying this item under the changed category.

Knowing this worked, I changed the category names from "Completed Projects (alias:completed-projects)" and "Current Projects (alias:current-projects)" to "Completed Projects1 (alias:completed-projects1)" and "Current Projects1 (alias:current-projects1)", respectively. I then created two entirely new categories, "Completed Projects (alias:completed-projects)" and "Current Projects (alias:current-projects)", and one-by-one moved the K2 items from the old into the new categories. Then I replaced the K2 category menu items with new ones pointing to the new categories and it all works!

Based on what I've observed, I think the issue had to do with database errors related to the specific categories I had established...perhaps the database got confused because there were Joomla! categories named the same, or some parameter didn't originally save to the database properly as a poster alludes to above.

Thanks for your help--the solution may not have been what you described, but you set me on the path that allowed me to figure it out!

More
12 years 2 months ago #66995 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Re: Category Listing Not Working
I think when you created the new categories and items from within the installed K2 they were created correctly, and there was something that went bad in the import, but im still guessing, because the import process i think always creates categories and subcategories with the same names as the J categories. Please correct me if im wrong.

• Greg J
More
12 years 2 months ago #66996 by Greg J
I suspect you are right, as most of the content I am dealing with was imported into K2. It feels good to finally have this issue resolved!!!