Keyword

Not able to migrate content from 1.5 to 2.5

• Gameinatrix
  • Gameinatrix's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 3 months ago #66999 by Gameinatrix
Not able to migrate content from 1.5 to 2.5 was created by Gameinatrix
Hello all,

After finally just buying SUpdater, and fighting with it for days to get it to migrate my site, I got it to migrate, but it will not migrate any content from k2 (unless it started out as Joomla content, which I had about 3 years ago on my site.

I've tried to follow the tables example here (exporting the tables and trying to import them) but I have over 5k articles and my host times out when I try that option, not to mention the instructions are written for developers, not regular folk who have no idea what they are doing. So I have no idea if I'm doing it right. I will admit to being a little more knowledgeable than the average person (I know how to get to PhPmyadmin) but I'm not adept by any means and would like some extreme hand holding here. I cannot lose all of my data, following bad instructions.

I see an importer tool here but am not sure it would do what I needed either. Is there a manual way (ie copying one file at a time over to the new site) that I could use? If so can someone people help? I've been at this over a week, after being told it was so so easy to do, it is only easy if you're a joomla developer. Which I am not. Help please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #67000 by VietPublic
Replied by VietPublic on topic Re: Not able to migrate content from 1.5 to 2.5
my experience upgrade to joomla version 2.5
1. Update joomla 1.5 to lastest version
2. Install all extensions similar to joomla 1.5 version. (include template)
3. Using J!Update to upgrate joomla 1.5 to joomla 2.5
4. Copy overide root/images to root/images of joomla site ver 2.5
5. Modify module position.., rebuilt menu ...

More
12 years 3 months ago #67001 by Manoj Goel
Replied by Manoj Goel on topic Re: Not able to migrate content from 1.5 to 2.5
Don't try any automatic trick, you may loose your data.
Do it manually, I am doing the same.
I am also migrating my J1.5 site to J2.5 with fresh install and then migrating data.
I have over 3500 articles and over 400 categories and 400 menu items.
Categories and menus are already migrated and now finalizing the designing work.
After that I will migrate my data directly from database.

• Gameinatrix
More
12 years 3 months ago #67002 by Gameinatrix
Replied by Gameinatrix on topic Re: Not able to migrate content from 1.5 to 2.5

VietPublic wrote: my experience upgrade to joomla version 2.5
1. Update joomla 1.5 to lastest version
2. Install all extensions similar to joomla 1.5 version. (include template)
3. Using J!Update to upgrate joomla 1.5 to joomla 2.5
4. Copy overide root/images to root/images of joomla site ver 2.5
5. Modify module position.., rebuilt menu ...

Gentlemen, I thank you for your response, but no one has actually explained HOW to do so. I've already updated/upgraded my joomla. As I stated I bought SPupdate and it migrated everything EXCEPT content originally created in K2. The content I'm migrated from Joomla to K2 2 years ago, shows up just fine. My menus are there but of course if they are associated with K2 categories they are not showing the drop downs.

So, how can I migrate my content, k2 content, manually? I'm happy to hear it can be done manually but no one has said HOW. I have installed K2 already but cannot see any new content. Thanks in advance for your help.

More
12 years 3 months ago #67003 by Manoj Goel
Replied by Manoj Goel on topic Re: Not able to migrate content from 1.5 to 2.5
Your automatic upgrade will not work properly, you will have to face lots of problems in future.
Here are the steps:
1. Make a Fresh install of Joomla, your template, and your all extensions of J 2.5
1. Create K2 User Groups manually
2. Assign Super User to k2 group manually
3. Migrate your K2 Categories directly from PHPMyAdmin database
4. Create fresh Menus and menu items and assign k2 categories (It can be done automatically by migrating menus directly frm PHPMyAdmin but you need to be an expert as you will need to do a lot of modification in database).
5. Now Migrate your Joomla users directly from PHPMyAdmin database
6. Then Migrate your K2 users directly from PHPMyAdmin database
7. Then Migrate your K2 items directly from PHPMyAdmin database
8. Then Migrate your K2 tags directly from PHPMyAdmin database
9. Then Migrate your K2 Comments directly from PHPMyAdmin database
10. After migration of your all data you need to run some SQL queries on your new database.
Thats it!
Note: Just keep in mind that the Id of each item should be same as your previous database otherwise your most of the links will not work.

If you are not comfortable with PHPMyAdmin then you can take my or any other professional service.

• Gameinatrix
More
12 years 3 months ago #67004 by Gameinatrix
Replied by Gameinatrix on topic Re: Not able to migrate content from 1.5 to 2.5
If I could afford to pay someone I would have and sadly a lot of what you said I'm not adept at doing. I suppose I need to request a refund for the extension I got because it has not done what I need it to do and can't find much documentation for people who are not developers. Perhaps I'll look at moving to a new CMS again <sigh>