Keyword

K2 Image sizes not following the category prefs

• Sean Carney
  • Sean Carney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #67925 by Sean Carney
I am new to K2 and so am just not understanding something. But, I had thought that if I only used K2 items and categories and created my Joomla Menu items to point to K2 Categories that all my pages would be under the control of the configurations in K2 categories.

But, somehow I have discovered that it is possible to have what should in my mind be the same page actually be two different pages and be taking their configuration, one from the Menu AND the other from the Category. Again I am ONLY using K2 categories.

These are the two pages that had thought would be the same:

jbtest.drcarney.com/activities/engine-2-medical-director

jbtest.drcarney.com/activities/engine-2-medical-director/itemlist/category/28-e2-immersion-medical-director

But, the first seems to be generated by configuration settings of the menu. And, the second is created by the configuration settings of the K2 category. I am a bit baffled what I did to make the first one take it's configuration from the menu since it was showing the configuration of the category before. I know this because i have a description that displays in the category view but not in the menu view.

Whatever the cause this conflict might also explain why it seems to me that K2 doesn't work as far as setting the width for the K2 images (the one image per article that is uploaded through the Image tab at the top of my JCE editor).

I was doing all of the settings through the category in K2 and it seemed to be working but then the images all started malfunctioning in that I would set the K2 Layout Grid to have small, med, large, etc... images and then in their place I would get different sizes. Currently I set them all to small but am still getting larger images. In fact I have three images, a large, a medium and a small being displayed.

Previously I created three columns and said to display small images but some of the articles in the row displayed larger images. Not sure where that is coming from!

Come to think of it I am using a template for K2 by Joomla Bamboo so maybe this problem has something to do with their template. They are very helpful so I will also post a question there.

In the meantime, any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated! Especially if this is documented somewhere and I have just not found it yet.

Thank you, Sean Carney

PS. I am using K2 v2.5.7. Joomla! 2.5.6

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #67926 by Lefteris
Hi. Here are some guidelines regarding the K2 item images:

1. The general settings for the image sizes can be found under K2 global parameters at the image tab.
2. You can override those general settings and set image sizes per category. When you edit a category look at the "Item image options". There you can override the generic settings.

Now that you have defined the image sizes you can define which size you wish to display:

1. The desired image size per category is also available in the category edit page under the "Layout grid" section.
2. When you make a menu link to multiple K2 categories then you can define the desired image size under the "Layout options for multiple category selection" at the menu link.

Note that images are generated/resized when they uploaded. If you change the image sizes definitions they will have no effect on the existing images. They will only affect the new ones.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Sean Carney
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 2 months ago #67927 by Sean Carney
Replied by Sean Carney on topic Re: K2 Image sizes not following the category prefs
Thank you very much. I believe you have answered all my questions. Mystery solved. I knew the problem had to be my understanding. Thank you very much. Is there a location on this site with Frequently Asked Questions or with a knowledge-base where I could have gone to look and find these answers?

• Sean Carney
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 2 months ago #67928 by Sean Carney
Replied by Sean Carney on topic Re: K2 Image sizes not following the category prefs

Lefteris Kavadas wrote: Hi. Here are some guidelines regarding the K2 item images:

1. The general settings for the image sizes can be found under K2 global parameters at the image tab.
2. You can override those general settings and set image sizes per category. When you edit a category look at the "Item image options". There you can override the generic settings.

Now that you have defined the image sizes you can define which size you wish to display:

1. The desired image size per category is also available in the category edit page under the "Layout grid" section.
2. When you make a menu link to multiple K2 categories then you can define the desired image size under the "Layout options for multiple category selection" at the menu link.

Note that images are generated/resized when they uploaded. If you change the image sizes definitions they will have no effect on the existing images. They will only affect the new ones.

I have been playing again for some hours and have gained some understaning from your help. But, I still have images within my category pages that are NOT displaying the image sizes that were specified in the K2 preferences for image sizes and also within the category settings.

Here is a good page for an example:
jbtest.drcarney.com/activities/engine-2-medical-director

On this page currently I have set the widths, in the K2 preferences, of the images as follows:
Xlarge 754
Large 360
Medium 240
Small 170
Xsmall 80

I then went into EVERY K2 content item and DELETED the image and uploaded the image again.

Then I set the Menu for Engine 2 Medical Director to display content from the Category called Engine 2 Medical Director. I have set Item ordering on the menu to Inherit from category.

I am NOT using any of the overrides sizes for images within the category. And, to try to create a significant change I set all of the images to be small since the large ones are displaying.

Leading count: 2
Columns for leading: 2
Image size for leading items: Small

Primary count: 1
Columns for primary: 1
Image size for leading items: Medium

Secondary count: 3
Columns for secondary: 3
Image size for secondary items: XSmall

However, these are NOT the sizes being displayed. So, I am wondering what more I could be missing? This has become a huge time consumer for me so I sure hope to find the answer soon.

• Sean Carney
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 2 months ago #67929 by Sean Carney
OK. I think I am finding something else that is causing this. I am using a JoomlaBamboo template and they have provided some K2 templates. The JB template I am using is called Lifestyle. I have been using the template Lifestyle for the K2 pages in the Select a Template option. What I have discovered is that if I use the template Lifestyle then the template appears to be over riding my image sizes. They also have a template called 'Common' which I do not like as much but it does NOT over ride the image sizes. So, it appears that the problem I have may be a "feature" of the K12 template by JoomlaBamboo. So, my next stop is to discuss this issue on the forum over there. :-)

More
12 years 2 months ago #67930 by Lefteris
Thanks for making it clear.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)