Keyword

The purpose of the settings when you create a K2 menu item

• Oceanwatcher
  • Oceanwatcher's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
More
15 years 3 months ago #68267 by Oceanwatcher
As K2 is supposed to have parameters attached to the categories, and categories can now inherit parameters, what is then the purpose of the settings you have when you create a K2 menu item?

As it is now, I could easily have several conflicting settings. And no idea what decides how things are displayed on the front page!

I use K2 for the front page with an item list/category view. The settings in the menu item worked half way. Setting the number of columns worked ok there and the number of articles to display in each of the zones. But the picture size was not followed.

But after setting each category to inherit the settings of one specific category and setting the picture sizes in this one, the pictures finally got the correct sizes.

Until someone can explain the logic behind all this and how I can easily change things, I think it is a bit of a mess. Anyone care to comment? :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #68268 by Justin Spain
I agree. I've searched for better tutorials on this and can't find anything. Since your post is 2 years old, there must be something out there. I am having trouble displaying my K2 item content when I click the Menu Link from my home page. I've set it to link to a K2 item but only Item Title is displayed???

• Oceanwatcher
  • Elite Member
More
13 years 5 months ago #68269 by Oceanwatcher
I guess I have found out a bit more over the last couple of years :-) I don't have too many problems getting the desired result anymore.

If you care to share the URL to the site, I could take a look and try to figure out what is going on.

More
13 years 5 months ago #68270 by Justin Spain
Svein Wisnaes said:I guess I have found out a bit more over the last couple of years :-) I don't have too many problems getting the desired result anymore.

If you care to share the URL to the site, I could take a look and try to figure out what is going on.

More
13 years 5 months ago #68271 by Justin Spain
please do. my site is www.loftdallas.net

• Oceanwatcher
  • Elite Member
More
13 years 5 months ago #68272 by Oceanwatcher
I see what you mean.

What version of K2 are you using?

What version of Joomla are you using?

How do you pick the article?

Did you modify K2 and the CSS? If so, how did you do it?

More
13 years 5 months ago #68273 by Justin Spain
I'm using version 2.4.1 of K2, 1.5.22, no change to the CSS that I'm aware of. Just using the standard Joomla SEF. I also installed JCE as my default editor and then switched that off and still the same result. I'm not a techie, just more of a super user. I'm using a pixelpointcreative.com template called 'simplex' and they like using K2 in their templates so not sure if they have manipulated the CSS.

As for picking the article, I clicked 'new item', associated it with my category and cut and pasted a small paragraph of text.

Then went to 'Main Menu' to create a menu item linking to the K2 article and check the front end of the site and had the problem. I've looked at it in Firefox and Chrome and still the same result. I tried creating a different category  and still the same. I'm not doing anything fancy with this site and there may be a super simple fix, I just can't figure it out. I have run into this problem on several sites I am doing so there must be a pattern I am following that is throwing things off.