Keyword

Replacing Print and E-mail in Tools with icons and adding a couple of the social buttons

• Oceanwatcher
  • Oceanwatcher's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 8 months ago #69003 by Oceanwatcher
Thank you for that tip. I have cleaned up a bit and got the tooltip to work on all icons now.

The print icon:

The e-mail icon:

And the two social media icons:

Only thing left now is Twitter.

For some reason, I have to enter my Twittername in the settings to be able to show the built-in Twitter link. But this should not be necessary. I am not the one that will be clicking this link all the time :-)

So I need something more general. The cool thing would be if it could pick up how many times the article had been tweeted before, but it is not really necessary.

Ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #69004 by Simon Wells
How about a TweeMeMe hack?
tweetmeme.com

Svein Wisnaes said:Thank you for that tip. I have cleaned up a bit and got the tooltip to work on all icons now.
The print icon:

The e-mail icon:

And the two social media icons:

Only thing left now is Twitter.

For some reason, I have to enter my Twittername in the settings to be able to show the built-in Twitter link. But this should not be necessary. I am not the one that will be clicking this link all the time :-)

So I need something more general. The cool thing would be if it could pick up how many times the article had been tweeted before, but it is not really necessary.

Ideas?

• Oceanwatcher
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 8 months ago #69005 by Oceanwatcher
I like the compact version, but would prefer to have all code on my own server so I do not have to wait for anything to load from their server. So the function itself is interesting, but I would prefer to not use an external service for it. Will have to do some more research. If you find anything in the mean time, please let me know.

Svein

Simon Wells said:How about a TweeMeMe hack? tweetmeme.com

• Oceanwatcher
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 8 months ago #69006 by Oceanwatcher
After looking a little closer at the Twitter code in K2, I realised it is not too bad at all, so I decided to do a little modification and include it with the two other icons. Here is the code I ended up with:

By clicking on the button you get this message:

Reading @twittername Main-article-title tinyurl.com/xyxyxyx

I think this is absolutely acceptable, so for now I think I will let this part stay as it is. Only thing I might do is tweak the icons a little :-)

Only thing you have to remember is to add the twittername you want to use as the main twitter reference in the K2 settings. And don't include the @.

• Oceanwatcher
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 8 months ago #69007 by Oceanwatcher
Dan,

Did you look at my final suggestion? I thought I had the alt-tags in there, and using Firebug on a project page, it looks like it is in place. Could you test it, please?

Regards,

Svein

Dan Englander (highrockmedia) said:Why not just add CSS background images and then just offset the text with a negative margin?
So for a print icon, use something like this (using K2's CSS classes):

.itemToolbar ul li a.itemPrintLink
{
background: url(/images/print-icon.gif) no-repeat center;
text-indent: -9999px;
}

Also with your code, your images don't not have alt tags.

More
14 years 3 months ago #69008 by Peter Jørgensen
Erebrum said:Hi, about replacing print and email links with icons just recently did something with featured notice (replaced it with image).
Hi
Is it possible that you can show me the code you use to replace featured notice with an image.
It will help me at lot.
Many thk.
Peter

More
14 years 3 months ago #69009 by Erebrum
Hi i just noticed your Q (did not been around for some time)
Ok code to replace featured notice with image:

file is category_item.php in template files and this changes featured notice with image you choose in article category listing - if you follow featured article, text notice will be there - template for article display needs to be changed for this (possibly same/similar code)

hope this helps

Peter Jørgensen said:Erebrum said:Hi, about replacing print and email links with icons just recently did something with featured notice (replaced it with image). Hi
Is it possible that you can show me the code you use to replace featured notice with an image.
It will help me at lot.
Many thk.
Peter

More
14 years 3 months ago #69010 by Peter Jørgensen
Hi thk. a lot
just what i need.
I have fixed the article featured icon.
Have a god day :)
Peter

Erebrum said:Hi i just noticed your Q (did not been around for some time) Ok code to replace featured notice with image:

file is category_item.php in template files and this changes featured notice with image you choose in article category listing - if you follow featured article, text notice will be there - template for article display needs to be changed for this (possibly same/similar code)

hope this helps

Peter Jørgensen said:Erebrum said:Hi, about replacing print and email links with icons just recently did something with featured notice (replaced it with image). Hi Is it possible that you can show me the code you use to replace featured notice with an image.
It will help me at lot.
Many thk.
Peter

More
13 years 11 months ago #69011 by Carlos Salas
You people need to learn CSS (= Not everything has to be a hack

More
13 years 11 months ago #69012 by Peter Jørgensen
Not everything can be done with css . But yes a lot can

Carlos Salas said:You people need to learn CSS (= Not everything has to be a hack