Keyword

more bugged overrides

• bunglehaze
  • bunglehaze's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
More
15 years 2 months ago #69014 by bunglehaze
more bugged overrides was created by bunglehaze
Logic states that we either need to have the settings reduced dramatically or have a heirarchy in place in order to style/setup the component simply. It seems that the further I dig into K2 v2.0 the more idiotic bugs I keep finding which confuses me as it is marked as stable in the announcement and it really isnt!

So my latest find and also a suggestion to follow too :)

When setting up item view in category settings I would have expected that the article preferences be managed in the category parameters, for instance I dont want gallery, video or attachment information visible until you visit the full article so I set it up this way in the article paramenters - it doesnt work.

After messing around with the 3 (yes 3 no less) individual areas in which these parameters can be edited I found that I have to do this on an item by item basis, not only does this make K2 considerably more difficult to administer but it also makes no sense.

I have noticed a number of these bugs and niggles over the past week and I do not understand how the whole process became so disjointed - images have 3 places you can set sizes for articles and half of them dont work most of the time, all this kind of behaviour does is put people off and write off what I think is a truly SUPERB piece of software as buggy and difficult to use.

Now I say truly SUPERB and yes I mean that if all these silly errors can be sorted and even a little bit more time spent looking through this forum and responding to those of us reporting bugs - a pet peeve of mine as I have done nothing but post issues and not a single one has been responded to in a way that acknowledges it - either let us know you are aware or that the bug has been duly noted.

Now a suggestion:

The current K2 menu setup is very basic, not that it needs to be much more complex but I feel that one function is missing badly and although the k2 content module attempts to fulfil the function it does so badly. That is that when we setup the category listings we have the function to turn off the childs category items which is great for a directory page - however what we ALSO need is a way to turn off the directory/child/category boxes and retain only the items - like the Joomla! frontpage system but only pulling through the designated K2 category items.

I say the k2 content module tries to do it but badly, that is because the items are linked oddly so where your main menu articles link might go to :

/articles/item/941-ducati-desmosedici-day.html

the k2 content module would send it to:

/component/k2/item/941-ducati-desmosedici-day.html

this makes page styling near impossible and the larger the site gets the more out of control it will become as the only way for module positions to be selected is to have them shown in "all". Another issue with having the linking so disjointed is that you get 2 totally different style article outputs between the module and the item you want displayed like a frontpage item.

If you want to take a look at my site you will get the picture as I have them setup in very different ways to try and achieve a simple goal - the web address is: www.bikechatter.co.uk

cheers, and please one of the Devs take the time to let me know you are actually reading these bug reports or I will stop wasting my time messing around finding issues.

cheers

leigh :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bunglehaze
  • bunglehaze's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
More
15 years 2 months ago #69015 by bunglehaze
Replied by bunglehaze on topic more bugged overrides
Just found another problem that I have been able to verify by logging ont5o the site from a totally seperate machine.

The comments box at the bottom of the page is pre-filled with a username and email address and will not allow comment submission

More
15 years 1 month ago #69016 by Lex Machina
Replied by Lex Machina on topic more bugged overrides
"After messing around with the 3 (yes 3 no less) individual areas in which these parameters can be edited I found that I have to do this on an item by item basis, not only does this make K2 considerably more difficult to administer but it also makes no sense."

I'm having a similar problem. I don't understand why the parameters for categories are yes/no radio buttons instead of dropdowns with "inherit from top category" or above category or whatever, like the individual item parameters.

I've had to change 2 different radio selections in 2 places for EACH of my 20 cats+sub cats just to get the "vote" and "modified" properties hidden by default. After the first few I was beginning to worry that I was going to have to do this on an item by item basis.

More
14 years 10 months ago #69017 by conticreative
Replied by conticreative on topic more bugged overrides
I second this. K2 is awesome, but the are a million little bugs that make it a nightmare.
I am trying to turn off "Item voting" globally and it doesn't wok, globally or by category. I wonder what the switch does.

More
14 years 10 months ago #69018 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic more bugged overrides
Hi. The switch does disable voting. Just go to the corresponding category and set the settings as you wish. Please note that there are 2 different settings one for item listings view and one for item view. Also you can override this parameters on the item edit page.

Marco Conti said:I second this. K2 is awesome, but the are a million little bugs that make it a nightmare. I am trying to turn off "Item voting" globally and it doesn't wok, globally or by category. I wonder what the switch does.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)