Keyword

how to publish to the main content area, like the demo?

More
15 years 1 month ago #71104 by daz
the demo k2.joomlaworks.gr/demo/ shows the content published in the main content area.

how do i do the same?

I can see that the option is usually to publish to a module, but the main content area isnt a module.

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #71105 by DAVID JANES
K2 publishes to com_content the same way Joomla does. It goes in place of Joomla content, not to a separate module. So either convert your Joomla articles to K2 content or start fresh with K2 content.

More
15 years 1 month ago #71106 by daz
Hi Dave

Thanks for replying. Sorry for being a bit slow here.............

I have created some test content with K2.
I have used module manager to enable K2 Content, K2 Comments, K2 Tools, K2 Login.
Each of the aforementioned module ask you to select a position - which is a module position - so I cant put anything in the main content area.

From what I have read so far, the K2 articles / categories are published to wherever K2 content is being pointed- so to a module position. (i must have this wrong, from your reply???)

thanks again

Dave Janes said:K2 publishes to com_content the same way Joomla does. It goes in place of Joomla content, not to a separate module. So either convert your Joomla articles to K2 content or start fresh with K2 content.

More
15 years 1 month ago #71107 by DAVID JANES
I actually did the same thing when just starting with it. K2 content, the module, is just that, a module. It is used to display lists or however else you want people to access your content. The actual content comes from the categories you make and the items you assign them to. Like with Joomla core content, you must make one of the categories a menu item in order for that to show up and then select that menu item as a default. Then that category becomes your main page. Once you do that it will make more sense.

More
15 years 1 month ago #71108 by Bryan Smith
Here's two things to try.

1) use the loadpostion plugin/bot to load a module in content! When you create the module, just type a new position name in the the area of the dropdown. With J1.5 you can create positions on the fly this way. then in your content you just call the plugin. {loadposition mynewmoduleposition} Using this technique you also need to make sure that your module is set to display relative to a menu link.

I use this technique all the time to rotate modules that are loaded into articles in tabs or slideshows using various other rotator modules out there.

2) another way to get this effect is to make all your categories a child of some parent category. Then make a menu link to the parent category. then play with the settings so that it just shows the child categories, but not the items.

this page is an example of this method.
www.wsuculturalaffairs.org/program-archives

More
15 years 1 month ago #71109 by daz
Thanks for the continued support.

Still struggling.

I had the site set up without K2. I had an article published to the front page showing in the main content area, by simply selecting 'publish on front page'.

In K2, I have attached the relevant articles to category. It still appears that anything published is publishing to k2content, which can only be displayed in a module position.

I want to display as per the demo, which appears as an image menu in the main content area. Surely I am missing something very basic similar to a tick to publish on the front page??? I thought thats what 'feature' is for?

More
15 years 1 month ago #71110 by bkemler
Daz- Are you new to Joomla? It sounds to me like you should read through the Joomla documentation before asking for help on the K2 forum. It sounds to me like maybe you don't understand how to create and edit menu items in Joomla and that's why you're not understanding how to have your home/default page point to com_k2 instead of com_content. You don't need to do anything with mod_k2 unless you want to put k2 items in module positions.

daz said:Thanks for the continued support.
Still struggling.

I had the site set up without K2. I had an article published to the front page showing in the main content area, by simply selecting 'publish on front page'.

In K2, I have attached the relevant articles to category. It still appears that anything published is publishing to k2content, which can only be displayed in a module position.

I want to display as per the demo, which appears as an image menu in the main content area. Surely I am missing something very basic similar to a tick to publish on the front page??? I thought thats what 'feature' is for?

More
13 years 7 months ago #71111 by Rishona Campbell
Replied by Rishona Campbell on topic how to publish to the main content area, like the demo?
You want to go to the 'Home' menu (or whatever menu you have to load on the default entry to your page), and then change the menu type. You should see the K2 component there as an option. Select whichever option suits your needs.