Keyword

Deleted users | error message on article and category display

• rexkramer
  • rexkramer's Avatar Topic Author
More
15 years 3 weeks ago #71951 by rexkramer
A user has written some content, he is obviously connected to his articles – seems logical ;-)
But what happens, if i have to delete a user for any reasons. I get an error message: "Unable to load user... Author empty"

Is it possible to have a solution for this scenario? How to handle this case? Just catch and suppress the message at all... Do you have to replace the deleted user info by a placeholder or dummie user ID? So, the site still behaves and shows-up as usual.

TIA!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #71952 by Lefteris
Hi. No you cannot do something for this. Maybe change all articles author with someone else.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• rexkramer
More
15 years 3 weeks ago #71953 by rexkramer
Couldnt this be solved by a half-automated preference or option.

The logic:
When the error occurs (or on user-deletion in backend?) -> exchange this user with a dummie-user (placeholder)

This Placeholder could be inserted as the new author. Maybe this dummie-user can have a name like "uknown" or "not available" or something meanigful.

TIA!

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #71954 by Lefteris
Hi. Thanks for the suggestion, maybe we implement it in a future release.

Rex Kramer said:Couldnt this be solved by a half-automated preference or option.
The logic:
When the error occurs (or on user-deletion in backend?) -> exchange this user with a dummie-user (placeholder)

This Placeholder could be inserted as the new author. Maybe this dummie-user can have a name like "uknown" or "not available" or something meanigful.

TIA!

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• rexkramer
More
15 years 3 weeks ago #71955 by rexkramer
dave said:Rex, if you are comfortable in the SQL db, you could potentially go change the author there.
Go into myPHPadmin. BACKUP EVERYTHING FIRST!

1. Go to the table for k2_items.
2. Export that table as CSV file... including field names in first line.
3. Open that CSV file in a text editor (NOT IN MS EXCEL)
4. Do a "find and replace" of the deleted UserID with a new UserID and save.
5. Go back to the k2_items table and import your new CSV file .

I am not a Dev for K2, and I have not tested this, as I dont have this issue right now... But im assuming this would work.

Thanks for your thoughts. You might be right. I don´t have a real project, it was a test installation. If i had this issue on a livesite, i would definitly fix it this way.

My previous and initial post should be a possible idea for the K2 Dev team. I think this message (and logical problem) must not occur in a serious K2 powered site.

CU

More
13 years 8 months ago #71956 by Peter Konstantakos
Replied by Peter Konstantakos on topic Deleted users | error message on article and category display
This error occurs when there is more than one instance of a user. Then an administrator deletes the unneeded users but the unneeded users are already authors of K2 articles. This happens alot when you have JomSocial, Joomla Core, K2 logins all on one site. So you have to open the article and most of the time the username is the same so then you save it and it works. Or you can do like the other guys said and assign a new user to it.

I hope this post helps someone thanks.

Peter Konstantakos (another Greek Joomla guy)

• rexkramer
More
13 years 8 months ago #71957 by rexkramer
Still not convinced ;-)

In my humble opinion this is an error message, which should and can be avoided by the component or a system plugin. I mean, this is not a manual task for an admin. 

• rexkramer
More
13 years 6 months ago #71958 by rexkramer
Any good news for this issue in K2.5+ ?

TIA!