Keyword

Can't edit item from backend without changing author

• John Comeskey
  • John Comeskey's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 11 months ago #74646 by John Comeskey
Because only admins appear in the author list, if you edit an item from the backend, then you end up permanently changing the item's author.

Is there a way to fix this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #74647 by Lefteris
Hi. No this is how it was designed to work. You can try edit the item on front-end.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• John Comeskey
More
14 years 11 months ago #74648 by John Comeskey
Replied by John Comeskey on topic Can't edit item from backend without changing author
So let me get this straight: You are claiming that this problem is not a bug?

So since K2 is designed with backend edit capability, that must mean that your intention is to force an author change. Can you please explain the reason that you would intend to force an author change?

Or are you really just trying to say that this is a bug that you do not plan to fix?

Lefteris Kavadas said:Hi. No this is how it was designed to work. You can try edit the item on front-end.

More
14 years 11 months ago #74649 by Travis Prebble
Replied by Travis Prebble on topic Can't edit item from backend without changing author
I don't see that behavior. I have two authors aside from myself at my site. Both are registered as Joomla Authors and are part of the Authors K2 Group.

When logged in as admin, I am able to assign any K2 item to the author accounts.

Are you logged in as an author and trying to assign to a different author?

• John Comeskey
More
14 years 11 months ago #74650 by John Comeskey
Replied by John Comeskey on topic Can't edit item from backend without changing author
Try changing their Joomla group to registered instead of author.

Travis Prebble said:I don't see that behavior. I have two authors aside from myself at my site. Both are registered as Joomla Authors and are part of the Authors K2 Group.
When logged in as admin, I am able to assign any K2 item to the author accounts.

• John Comeskey
More
14 years 11 months ago #74651 by John Comeskey
However, that is the fix! Just simply make new Joomla users into authors as the default. Duh!!

Thanks Travis!!

Travis Prebble said:I don't see that behavior. I have two authors aside from myself at my site. Both are registered as Joomla Authors and are part of the Authors K2 Group.

More
14 years 9 months ago #74652 by Antonio
The bug is to allow set the frontend form to an user that are not an Joomla´s author.
I suggest to block setting up the user bellow "author" to a group that have "front end editing" set to "yes" in the permissions. And in the "permissions block" must have a warning: "To allow front end editing the user must be author in the joomla user".

More
14 years 5 months ago #74653 by Elvar
This will be easy workaround.

But if you have some special section of K2 that allow ALL your users to write their blogs AND you do not have all of the users as joomla authors because you have additional K2 sections and Joomla sections reserved for them.

How then?

Antonio Costga said:The bug is to allow set the frontend form to an user that are not an Joomla´s author. I suggest to block setting up the user bellow "author" to a group that have "front end editing" set to "yes" in the permissions. And in the "permissions block" must have a warning: "To allow front end editing the user must be author in the joomla user".

More
13 years 9 months ago #74654 by natecovington
Replied by natecovington on topic Can't edit item from backend without changing author
I've found that the Joomla user group (e.g. Registered, Author) has no effect on K2's ACL / group access. I haven't tested this but I don't see a reason to make them "Authors"

I've got a K2 site where everyone is "Registered" in Joomla and "Default" K2 user group. Works fine.

My fix when editing someone's article in the backend is to quickly make them administrator status, edit their article, choose their username from the author drop-down, and save the K2 item. Then go back and switch them from Administrator to Registered.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #74655 by Dragan Todorovic
Replied by Dragan Todorovic on topic Can't edit item from backend without changing author
I had this issue today and fund this solution code.google.com/p/joomlaworks/issues/detail?id=42

but the problem is that lists all users now . Imagine having 50k users in the list lol , ugly hack solution

open

administrator\components\com_k2\views\item\tmpl\default.php  line 684 

<td><?php echo $this->lists; ?></td>

change to

<td><input class="text_area" type="text" name="created_by" maxlength="250" value="<?php echo $this->row->created_by; ?>" disabled="disabled" /></td>

note: I added disabled="disabled" since I am doing this for a customer and do not want him to mess with it , but you can leave it out , and if you want to change author , you need to add his user ID in there , for example Administrator, 62