Keyword

Frontend Editing | Edit Form | Hide Tabs per Category/Type

• rexkramer
  • rexkramer's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 10 months ago #75574 by rexkramer
(This was initally posted as a comment. To get more attention and opinions i converted it into a feature request) k2community.joomlaworks.gr/forum/topics/frontend-editing-edit-form?page=1&commentId=3536014%3AComment%3A14717&x=1#3536014Comment14717

First of all – great component!

As far as i can see, the tabs (images, gallery, video) on the submission-form can be hidden. Nice options, but it is only available in the global preferences.

When you setup different "types" of contentcategories... thats what K2 is made for... you might have different complex submission tasks. For Example: You might need a clean and simple submit form for a video only contenttype. You should better hide all other unnecesarry tabs. This would reduce many errors, confusion and unwanted content on submissions!

So, is it possible to have the HIDE TABS frontend-editing parameters for each category? Please!!! !!!

TIA!

Joomlaworks (Fotis?) answered:
@Rex Kramer
This is really overkill. The designer controls what is shown on the website or not. If a category has videos disabled, there is no need to hide that in the form as well.

I don´t really understand the answer. Did you mean the categories settings are reflected in the submission form? That seems not to be the case... In the submit form is a category selectbox and i can post in any category i want AND the tabs for Content, Gallery, Video, Attachments are always available.
So i am still thinking it is essential to limit the tabs and media submission on category basis... BTW, many other display parameters show up in 3 different places (general, category, menuitem). Why not show the general parameters in category parameters and let them override the submission form options.

I remember the submit link does not carry the category (itemtype) in its URL... i guess, that does mean u are getting all general settings in one go and the modal window is not updated when i select a specific category, right?! But that should be possible technically...

Please, think about it...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rexkramer
More
14 years 9 months ago #75575 by rexkramer
Anyone interested?

More
14 years 9 months ago #75576 by Annie Jackson
I think it's a good idea, I do not think it is overkill. If you have a hundred authors on your site submitting content you don't need them submitting stuff that will not even be displayed. Just because it is not displayed doesn't mean it is okay to let them upload it. This could lead to huge memory usage on the server and would be a pain in the ass for webmasters to go in and manually delete content that is irrelevant and not displayed on the front end.

More
14 years 8 months ago #75577 by Fonz_k
I woul really like to have full control over what people are allowed to do. If i don't want an author to upload/publish video's/images, the possibility should not be displayed.

Keep in mind that not everybody knows his way around article submission.

• rexkramer
More
14 years 8 months ago #75578 by rexkramer
Thank you, for following me... i thought noone else is interested in this ;-)
I still wonder why these are only global parameters!?!

More
14 years 8 months ago #75579 by tarik916
I was thinking the same thing. It would just make it less confusing for the non-technical site administrator. Plus, customers always ask questions when they make changes to a section and nothing happens on the front-end (because it has been disabled).

• rexkramer
More
14 years 8 months ago #75580 by rexkramer
:-) i know what you mean. I myself could live with the current solution, somehow... but the end-user does definitly not. I have even questions about the modal-submit window... which leads to confusion, because the user hits save, and the window stays open ;-) I wish i could turn this into a normal page display, ...

Tarik said:...less confusing for the non-technical site administrator. Plus, customers always ask questions when they make changes to a section and nothing happens on the front-end (because it has been disabled).

More
13 years 10 months ago #75581 by laura
Hi,

I agree with you, I decided not to use K2 in a couple of sites for this very reason. It's confusing for registered users when they have a lot of possibilities (video tab, gallery tab, etc) that , in fact, they can't use. In my case, disable those tabs for everybody wasn't an option because some higher users needed them...so I ended using other component to achieve my purposes. That is sad, because I love K2. If somebody has any idea about how to deal with this issue I will really appreciate it...

• rexkramer
More
13 years 10 months ago #75582 by rexkramer
@Laura Skerk
Thanks for post and your opinion. I still hope for a change in K2 core. I still believe, that this issue is essential. I would use and suggest K2 serveral times, but this issue don´t let me...

More
13 years 4 months ago #75583 by Kert Ülenõmm
I would also like to be able to do this... I don't think it's overkill at all. This would make K2 even better.