Keyword

Tags Explained

• KLM Graphics
  • KLM Graphics's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 9 months ago #75734 by KLM Graphics
Tags Explained was created by KLM Graphics
O.K. I am sure this is going to sound really pathetic but I truly am at a loss. I am looking everywhere for an answer to what a tag is and how it works?

Can anyone point to even a short example or give me a running start on what they are and how I should use them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #75735 by pabs11
Replied by pabs11 on topic Tags Explained
hi kevin

Don't feel awkward about about asking questions. That's how we all learn.

If you had to describe an article you'd written in one, two, three or four ( there's no limit really ) words, each of these words would be like a general category heading under which you would find that article. The article could be described as being tagged under each word ( category ). So the words are known as tags. They're a search tool.

You'll also then find tags in listed or displayed creatively in groups or clusters together on a page, for example - so, if you should want to find all the articles that are tagged under a particular word, you click on it, and you should get a list of all the articles that have that word as its tag. Articles that have the attribute of that particular tag.

Instead of say, ahving to think of and enter a search term in a search box, the search terms ( tags ) are displayed for you in a cluster or group for you to select from, and if tagged effectively will be effective in finding what you are looking for in a website.

You don't haveto use them. It's up to you. They're fashionable at the moment.

Does that help ?

More
14 years 9 months ago #75736 by pabs11
btw :

tag list = tag group = tag cluster = tag cloud etc

P

pabs said:hi kevin
Don't feel awkward about about asking questions. That's how we all learn.

If you had to describe an article you'd written in one, two, three or four ( there's no limit really ) words, each of these words would be like a general category heading under which you would find that article. The article could be described as being tagged under each word ( category ). So the words are known as tags. They're a search tool.

You'll also then find tags in listed or displayed creatively in groups or clusters together on a page, for example - so, if you should want to find all the articles that are tagged under a particular word, you click on it, and you should get a list of all the articles that have that word as its tag. Articles that have the attribute of that particular tag.

Instead of say, ahving to think of and enter a search term in a search box, the search terms ( tags ) are displayed for you in a cluster or group for you to select from, and if tagged effectively will be effective in finding what you are looking for in a website.

Does that help ?

• KLM Graphics
More
14 years 9 months ago #75737 by KLM Graphics
Replied by KLM Graphics on topic Tags Explained
Thanks pabs,

I had the right train of thought then. If you don't minds answering a few more question? In K2 the sub menu "Tags". How does that fit into the bigger picture? If I am thinking right I add new tags (keywords) to the list and then In the article under tags I only add the Tags I want the article to be found for right?

Then does this function with the Joomla built in search feature or does K2 have its own based on these Tags?

Thanks for the detailed answer to my question...;)

pabs said:btw :
tag list = tag group = tag cluster = tag cloud etc

P

pabs said:hi kevin Don't feel awkward about about asking questions. That's how we all learn.

Does that help ?

More
14 years 9 months ago #75738 by pabs11
Not sure if joomla and K2 share search functionality - I would suspect not, but others may no better, or know of ways to hack, or there may be a plugin for it somewhere, maybe.

And yes, add tags to the list in your K2 params, which builds a list for yourself or users with access to slect from, or add to, then move across to the right, the ones you want for that particular article.

You then nominate to display or not display the tags block in that category list page or article page.

P

Kevin Morrison said:Thanks pabs,
I had the right train of thought then. If you don't minds answering a few more question? In K2 the sub menu "Tags". How does that fit into the bigger picture? If I am thinking right I add new tags (keywords) to the list and then In the article under tags I only add the Tags I want the article to be found for right?

Then does this function with the Joomla built in search feature or does K2 have its own based on these Tags?

pabs said:btw : tag list = tag group = tag cluster = tag cloud etc

P

pabs said:hi kevin Don't feel awkward about about asking questions. That's how we all learn.

Does that help ?

• KLM Graphics
More
14 years 9 months ago #75739 by KLM Graphics
Been working with this all day. I really do see the power of it now and yes it does integrate with Joomla search. Not sure what use the "Tagged Under" Links are good for though? It gives links for the tags but then when you click on one it returns an empty document titled Displaying items tag:.

pabs said:Not sure if joomla and K2 share search functionality - I would suspect not, but others may no better, or know of ways to hack, or there may be a plugin for it somewhere, maybe.
And yes, add tags to the list in your K2 params, which builds a list for yourself or users with access to slect from, or add to, then move across to the right, the ones you want for that particular article.

You then nominate to display or not display the tags block in that category list page or article page.

P

Kevin Morrison said:Thanks pabs, I had the right train of thought then. If you don't minds answering a few more question? In K2 the sub menu "Tags". How does that fit into the bigger picture? If I am thinking right I add new tags (keywords) to the list and then In the article under tags I only add the Tags I want the article to be found for right?

pabs said:btw : tag list = tag group = tag cluster = tag cloud etc
P

pabs said:hi kevin Don't feel awkward about about asking questions. That's how we all learn. If you had to describe an article you'd written in one, two, three or four ( there's no limit really ) words, each of these words would be like a general category heading under which you would find that article. The article could be described as being tagged under each word ( category ). So the words are known as tags. They're a search tool.

Does that help ?

More
14 years 2 months ago #75740 by Odin Mayland
Replied by Odin Mayland on topic Tags Explained
Are there other uses for tags besides search?

• KLM Graphics
More
14 years 2 months ago #75741 by KLM Graphics
modernmagic said:Are there other uses for tags besides search?

Its a great way to group your articles. By using the tags in an article it shows your readers what else you have that may be like this or has the same elements in it.

More
14 years 2 months ago #75742 by Odin Mayland
Replied by Odin Mayland on topic Tags Explained
It looks like tags are not used as meta keywords. So that's one more thing I have to do.

Does anyone else on this forum have a list of uses for tags?