Keyword

Frontend editing issue

• Antonio
  • Antonio's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 9 months ago #76260 by Antonio
Frontend editing issue was created by Antonio
My users should can submit AND edit their items but NOT publish it without an admin aprovation. No matter the obviuos email notification missing, my problem is:
If an article is already published, the user can edit it from the frontpage clicking the "edit" link.
If an article IS NOT published, the article do not appear in the "my page" list.
How can I allow my users to edit their own not published items?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #76261 by bkemler
Replied by bkemler on topic Frontend editing issue
I had the same issue. I got around it by creating a set of categories with the access level set to Special and having the users publish to them. That way they can see what the item will look like once it's live but the items aren't actually viewable by anyone with permissions lower than Author. Like to have people write items for "Category 1" and "Category 2", I created those categories and only gave admin permission to publish to them and then created "Editing Category 1" and "Editing Category 2" and gave Authors permission to publish items in them. The admin edits an item and then publishes to the appropriate live category.

However, this means that once the admin has published an item to one of the live categories, the user who wrote it can no longer edit it, unless the admin returns it to an "Editing" category.

I also created a workaround for the lack of admin notification where I created a button for "Notify Admin" and told users to click that once they were done editing their item. The button sends an email to the admin saying that the user has an item that's ready to be looked at. If you want details of how I did it, I can post them.

• Antonio
  • Antonio's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 9 months ago #76262 by Antonio
Replied by Antonio on topic Frontend editing issue
Thanks your answer, Kemler.

Your runaround show´s a very imaginative mind. Congratulations.
But I can´t use it, since it implies that the OTHERS author kind users will see all "waitting for aproval" items (Just can edit their own, but see all them. Since the majority of my visitors also will be authors, I can´t use your idea).
My php/joomla/k2 programming skill is very low, but I think the solution is a "hack" in the php file that selects if an item will be shown (or not), to check if the signed user is the author. If yes, show the item, no matter the "unpublished" status.
I have no idea how to do that.

You said "I created a button for "Notify Admin" ". It´s very usefull (and practical: some automatic stuff will notify EVERY editings). Please, post detais.

Thanks

More
14 years 9 months ago #76263 by Stella
Replied by Stella on topic Frontend editing issue
Hi B Kemler,
your workaround for admin notification would be very useful

More
14 years 9 months ago #76264 by bkemler
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, on the site where I'm using K2, all the authors are volunteers of the organization so it's fine for them to see each other's items that haven't been published to the live site yet.

Instructions on how I made the admin notification button attached.

Antonio Costga said:Thanks your answer, Kemler.
Your runaround show´s a very imaginative mind. Congratulations.
But I can´t use it, since it implies that the OTHERS author kind users will see all "waitting for aproval" items (Just can edit their own, but see all them. Since the majority of my visitors also will be authors, I can´t use your idea).
My php/joomla/k2 programming skill is very low, but I think the solution is a "hack" in the php file that selects if an item will be shown (or not), to check if the signed user is the author. If yes, show the item, no matter the "unpublished" status.
I have no idea how to do that.

You said "I created a button for "Notify Admin" ". It´s very usefull (and practical: some automatic stuff will notify EVERY editings). Please, post detais.

Thanks
Attachments:

More
14 years 9 months ago #76265 by Stella
Hi B Kemler,
thanks for the attachment, I've tested it and seems to work :)
Do you know if it's possible to force users to send new items in a specific category?

More
14 years 9 months ago #76266 by bkemler
Well, to force them to send a notification email, you would need to completely replace the Save button with the Notify Admin button, right? And to do that based on which category is selected would be a javascript task, I believe. So you would need the help of someone who knows more about javascript than me. Sorry!

Stella said:Hi B Kemler, thanks for the attachment, I've tested it and seems to work :)
Do you know if it's possible to force users to send new items in a specific category?

More
14 years 9 months ago #76267 by Stella
ok, thanks for your reply ;)

More
13 years 11 months ago #76268 by dr_zero
Replied by dr_zero on topic Frontend editing issue
Thank you, quite good solution
B Kemler said:Ah, gotcha. Yeah, on the site where I'm using K2, all the authors are volunteers of the organization so it's fine for them to see each other's items that haven't been published to the live site yet. Instructions on how I made the admin notification button attached.

More
13 years 5 months ago #76269 by saman thenuwara
Replied by saman thenuwara on topic Frontend editing issue
is it possible to improve this hack little further to send email to a dynamic email id, like if each category editor is different