Keyword

Missing Images

• Robin Jenkins
  • Robin Jenkins's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 8 months ago #76785 by Robin Jenkins
Missing Images was created by Robin Jenkins
Have just completed a site with nearly 700 images. I moved the site (sub domain at present) from the internet to my local computer in order to test if the site could be moved to another location without any problems.

Once I set it up on my local computer I found that many of the images, maybe even half of them, have lost their links. When I view the item in the K2 Add/Edit Item area and click on the Image Tab there is no image (this is where I uploaded each image originally).

All the images are in the MEDIA>>K2>>ITEMS>>SRC folder where they should be, but for some reason some of these images have lost the link to their source files, yet others are OK.

Any advice on how to re-link the images to their source files without having to re-do each one individually would be appreciated.

This could be a potential problem for any K2 website that for some reason had to be moved to another location.

Kind regards,

Robin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #76786 by Heather
Replied by Heather on topic Missing Images
This is a problem I am experiencing right now.

Did you find a solution? Moving hosts would be terribly inconvenient in a situation like this.

• Robin Jenkins
More
14 years 7 months ago #76787 by Robin Jenkins
Replied by Robin Jenkins on topic Missing Images
Hello,

Unfortunately no, the problem has not been resolved. The developers of K2 should address this problem but I haven't had a reply or any assistance from anyone from K2. Do they actually look at this forum!

If you search the forums using the search word 'cache', you will find an article by someone who has developed a script to re-build the cache images. Might be worth a try.

Good luck.

More
14 years 7 months ago #76788 by Heather
Robin, I got an email from someone at K2 named Katia who said that someone would get on the forums and give us a solution.

Obviously that hasn't happened yet. :-(

I'll do that search. Thanks!

• Robin Jenkins
More
14 years 7 months ago #76789 by Robin Jenkins
Hello SoMeEx,

I have now managed to successfully move the entire site - and everything was fine - no missing images.

This time I used the Backup facility in C-Panel.

There are a few options available when choosing to Backup your site, because of what I needed to do, I just saved the Backup to my local computer, then uncompressed the file and uploaded it to a new site.

You can also Backup your MySQL database very easily using the Backup facility and it's then a simple process to restore that database to a new site.

It all worked really well.

I hope this information will save a lot of people from getting stressed out.

Robin

More
14 years 7 months ago #76790 by Heather
Out of curiosity, what did you do the first time that the images disappeared? Just did a download of all the files? The SQL export was something I already did.

I'd hate to go through the backup/upload process and have it not work again because I misunderstood.

Thanks!

• Robin Jenkins
More
14 years 7 months ago #76791 by Robin Jenkins
Hello SoMeEx,

The first time I just downloaded all the files and folders directly from the website using ftp software.

Then used phpMyAdmin in the cPanel to export the database.

Robin

More
14 years 7 months ago #76792 by Heather
Thanks! I'll try your method.

I am disappointed that we haven't heard from JoomlaWorks officially. I was told someone would be on here Friday to answer me (by an email support ticket), and I have bought from them and supported them for years.

Oh well. We'll see. I'll try your method, and then the cache-rebuilder if it doesn't work.

Thank you.

More
14 years 6 months ago #76793 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Missing Images
Hi. Anyone having similar problems please check that:
1. The file names of the images are exactly the same as they are on the origin server.
2. The database is an exact copy of the original database.
3. Clean the Joomla! cache when start using the new site.

Item image file names are not stored in the database. Instead of this K2 generates a file name which is unique per item image. The file name of the image is generated by the MD5 hash of item's id and a prefix. So it's very weird to loose images. Please perform the three checks provided above and let us know.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)